Report - Teixera signs with Yankees

Skipjack33

Its the fact that he said he would love to play for his hometown team. But at the end of the day...its all about the money. Is there really that much difference between 21 and 23 million dollars a year?

He also said he wanted to play for a winning team.

Neither of his hometown teams (Orioles or Nationals) could offer that to him for at least 2 years, maybe up to 4.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where have I said Am is an idiot?

Mora, Huff and Ramon's contract add up to more than Tex got per year.

Mora and Huff are gone after this year and Ramon was already dealt.

The orioles payroll, not too long ago was one of the top five highest in the game for several years.

I never said Tex was the end all and that signing him would turn us instantly into a playoff team.

I do believe that for a team that, outside of Wieters has very little positional prospects, Tex was a must sign.

The fact that we would not have to give up any young pitching or lose a first round pick and could net an all star player, is too good of a chance to pass up.

I believe MacPhail is going down the right path, however signing Tex would not derail the plan. It would help with a struggling attendance and allow us to use a young pitcher down the road to fill the holes at short or third base.

Also my emotions are not in the way of making rational decisions. I have pointed out the reasons why I thought tex was a must sign and have thought he was a must sign for a long time now.

Good post! And let me start with saying, I didn't mean to make it sound as if you had said AM was an idiot - that was a general statement in response to a lot of ill-informed posters who are calling for his head right now.

I also agree that Tex would have been a good pick-up, for your above reason...don't loose draft pick ect. However, I have to trust that AM knows that finances of the operation, and had they been able to afford him, they would have.

So, I think our disagree is that fact that he was a 'must' sign. I think he would have been a good sign at the right price.

Okay, arguing about these trades is pointless.

Bottom line - we passed on Teixeira and I'm not happy about it. I believe it was AM's call. My question is what we're realistically going to use that money on that will help us more than Teixeira over the next 8 years. You can say extending players we have, but that's a cop out IMO.

You call it a cop out, I call it baseball economics.

You dont want to argue because you can't argue the points I raise.

Originally Posted by Sports Guy

I would have put 8/184 on the table and made him say no to his childhood team and more money.

Originally Posted by Sports Guy

I am also in that 8/160 crowd.

I too would prefer a shorter contract and more money....6/140ish type deal would be preferred but 8/160 is something I could live with.

It would be awfully hard for me to go more than that though.

SG, I'm really interested in your reply!! The Yankees have proven over and over again that you can't buy a World Series and I believe this doesn't guarantee anything. In a way I'm glad they didn't sign Tex because basically he isn't worth $25mil, IMO. Yes, when I heard the news, I was pissed like most people here and I believe that baseball is broken and the Commish needs to take a good look at what has happened here.

To me it now seems clear Tex wanted to be a Yankee all along, that's why Boras went after Cashman twice when the Yankees seemingly didn't have interest.

Tex wants to play 1B for the team his idol played for.

Unfortunately by doing so, he's alienated most of the population of the area where he grew up. Tex will find in time that it will be one of the biggest mistakes he's ever made...

I told you Tex wouldn't sign here. Now we can finally move forward.

If I were Belkast I don't think I would feel very comfortable with my source's information anymore. This is not a bash but at some point a reasonable person would realize that their source maybe isn't as much in the know as one would have thought.

I hope Belkast still posts and if he wants to give info that his guy tells him then more power to him but I know I wouldn't trust it anymore than anybody else's gut.

This post will probably anger some. Read it again if it angers you. You will see that it is a well reasoned post.

Actually, I think this is a very reasonable post. I still feel bad for Belkast.

Reading Roch's new blog about MacPhail's reaction gives me absolutely zero hope for the future. First, we were never serious about signing Tex. Then this doozy:

"we have to follow the model of consistently good organizations, like the Twins."

So I see where going to let our stars walk or trade them for quantity instead of quality. We are going to put ourselves into the small-market box by choice rather than finances.

Reading Roch's new blog about MacPhail's reaction gives me absolutely zero hope for the future. First, we were never serious about signing Tex. Then this doozy:

"we have to follow the model of consistently good organizations, like the Twins."

So I see where going to let our stars walk or trade them for quantity instead of quality. We are going to put ourselves into the small-market box by choice rather than finances.

The Twins are a perfectly good franchise to model ourselves after.

Its clear that you have access to the Orioles books, Russ. Tell us what they can afford for a team salary?

If this is the case, then why not make a competive offer of 8/175 or 8/180 and make Tex express by his actions whether or not he wanted to play for the Yanks or O's??

Instead we're left hoping that's the case because it's the only reason you can say this organization isn't a big fat juicy joke.

Totally disagree about PR points...If we offer the same as the Yanks, it shows we were serious and that Tex wasn't. We offered 40 million less than what the Yanks offered. If Tex dreamed every night about playing for the O's he couldn't take that contract.

Like I said a part of me wants to get steamed at PA and AM for not being more aggressive earlier. But as late as last night the Yanks weren't even in this thing if the media reports are correct, even Hal Steinbrenner was saying last night the Yanks hadn't made an offer. The Yanks jumped in today with an offer and got the deal done this quickly and I doubt Boras even gave a McPhail a chance to match or beat the offer. With as long as this whole thing was dragged out with the Yanks not involved and how quickly it ended when they did get involved it just seems obvious to me this is where Tex wanted to be all along.

Archived