Report - Teixera signs with Yankees

Skipjack33

the money we had on the table for Tex, is not going to be used for pitching.

The names being mentioned are Hendrickson, Redding and Looper.

I do not see them putting out any thing greater then 3-4 million a year for a pitcher.

Its obvious this upcoming season may be one of the worst season ever from a pitching standpoint.

A team era well over 6 would not suprise me.

I really thing DCab should have been kept if you were not going to sign Kawakami type starter. At least DCab could eat some innings.

We are going to have at least two long men out of the pen this year.

I would might think those names could change though. AM has 20 mill plus sitting around to give someone I think he could go after a big name. I would not be shocked if they now are interested in Sheets. How to you beat Tex? You sign a pitcher that can beat him:) Have faith O's fans

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah adding a local boy superstar first baseman to the team would have been a disaster. :rolleyes:

The money the franchise is going to lose the next few years with a dwindling attendance and a team poised to lose 100 games with a joke of pitching staff will make the Tex contract not a bad investment when you look long term.

This team has been on life support with the city, the attendance has dropped consistantly the last few years and will be at an all time low this upcoming season.

Tex was the perfect chance for us to add a power bat at a position where we have zero depth without having to give up any young arms or a first round pick.

AM must have believed that the team could not afford him, or they would have offered a higher contract. To think otherwise is naive (please don't respond saying AM is an idiot, the orioles are stupid). You don't simply fix an 11 year loosing streak with one signing, impossible...You need to seperate your emotions from making rational decisions. AM said it would take 3+ years...did you think he was joking around?

Compare the records of the 10 lowest payrolls to the records of the top 10. From year to year, there will be young teams that manage to hold talent together long enough to make a run. That's about the best anyone can expect for from the majority of teams. When the top payroll is equal to about 10 rosters worth of the lowest payroll, you can't try to make an argument that there is equity in the game. The top 3 free agents all go to one team..which has a $1.3 billion stadium and television revenues that dwarf all others. Luxury tax is just a bill. Nothing short of a salary cap works. If we catch lightning in a bottle with Tillman, Matusz, Arrieta and can compete for a few years, it will be the ceiling for a team like Baltimore.

Am I correct in how the free agent system and draft picks works.

The Angels now get the yankees 1st round pick (For Tex),

the Brewers their 2nd round pick (For CC),

and the Blue jays their 3rd round pick (For Burnett).

Seems real messed up the way the free agent system works.

The Yankees should forfeit a # 1 pick in each of next 2 years.

Or at least the Brewers and Blue Jays should get a supplemental pick.

Not only did the Yankees get the 3 biggest FA, but they screwed 2 mid-market teams as well.

More evidence that MLB needs a salary cap.

You are correct in the rounds that the teams get the extra picks. All teams will get a pick in the supplemental round as well though.

I am willing to get over this setback if a few moves are made by Orioles FO that show a sunrise on the horizon. Right now I am not comfortable with the pressure that will fall on Wieters' shoulders. He is going to be expected to produce right from his ML debut.

Angelos and McPhail! You have no excuse now. Let's build a half decent rotaion and aquire a bat with some pop.

Has this board really turned into a bunch of adults crying like babies? Get over it. I will still root for the Orioles as hard as I ever have, and I will have fun doing it. MacPhail is going about this the right way, no one player is going to be a cure-all. Everyone take a deep breath and move on, this just isn't that serious. Recognize that we need to develop a good farm system that will keep repleneshing the team year after year. Living and dying on the whims of free agents gets you nowhere. Think about where Miguel Tejada took us.

Wow. I thought I had seen some ill-informed posts today but this really takes the cake.

Do you not remember Matt Albers last year? He was a pretty vital part of the pitching staff.

Selling short on Sherrill, Jones, and Tillman?

Nice.:rolleyes:

To clarify, I wasn't talking about the Bedard deal. Obviously we got 3 useful pieces from that one.

I was talking about the two deals I referred to as salary dumps, Ramon and Tejada. I will throw Bradford in there to expand my point, since we got zero in return.

Albers had a decent stretch this year, but both Albers and Patton have shoulder problems. Elbow problems are one thing, but shoulder problems usually mean a pitcher is finished. I hope I'm wrong about those two.

I would might think those names could change though. AM has 20 mill plus sitting around to give someone I think he could go after a big name. I would not be shocked if they now are interested in Sheets. How to you beat Tex? You sign a pitcher that can beat him:) Have faith O's fans

How do you know he has 20 million sitting around?

They made a 20 million offer to Tex that they knew he would never accept.

To all the high and mighty posters: just let people vent. Everyone's upset, whether it's with the O's, the MFY's, Angelos, MacPhail, MLBPA, MLB or just in general. Many people are just saying things in the heat of the moment and don't mean what they are posting.

It's just going to be even sweeter when we beat their asses in a few years. This makes me even more determined to be an O's fan, and I can't wait until we're back on top.

IMO venting is fine and totally understandable. But when people start attacking the insiders and the info they provide, I have a problem with it. How is it fair to call them frauds when they give a disclaimer with every post they make? Is it their fault that people can't understand what "take it for what it's worth" means? The problem is that those who are upset with the insiders hung on every post as if the info provided was written in stone.

Hate to break it to you but this isn't the aging, crippled Yankees of the last two years. They still have a few minor cracks but they are now the hands down favorites to finish with the best record in baseball.

Well, I would hope so!!!!!!! They are making a mockery of the sport and why my brother hasn't been a baseball fan for years. I like the analogy posted earlier that rooting for the Orioles is like rooting for the Washington Generals.

Has this board really turned into a bunch of adults crying like babies? Get over it. I will still root for the Orioles as hard as I ever have, and I will have fun doing it. MacPhail is going about this the right way, no one player is going to be a cure-all. Everyone take a deep breath and move on, this just isn't that serious. Recognize that we need to develop a good farm system that will keep repleneshing the team year after year. Living and dying on the whims of free agents gets you nowhere. Think about where Miguel Tejada took us.

I think people are upset for two reasons. One, that the O's didn't make a serious attempt to bring a hometown boy into the fold and the fact that MLB is a broken franchise until it institutes a salary cap.

Archived