Bullpen Game Today?

sportsfan8703

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

They do, of course....I just believe the Club's inputs drive more of the outputs than they used to.

In the 80's, Earl had Tippy, Sammy and Stoddard and how they did was how the bullpen did.    Other decades Davey and Buck had more like an A trio and a B trio, but pitching wasn't as atomized even 5-10 years ago as it has become now.   The 2015 Astros pitched Keuchel and McHugh 435 innings, but I don't believe the 2025 Orioles Means and Rodriguez are approaching that workload under today's rules.

Raysian hedge fund managers treating pitches as data can curate in the aggregate nastier stuff, helped by defensive positioning, and a result is a MLB batting average of .242.    Collect pitchers with options, sharpen the breaking ball unless you are Felix Bautista, throw it hard.    Matt Wisler, Dusten Knight, Evan Phillips, Marcos Diplan, Shawn Armstrong...doesn't matter.    Rested Daily Streamer Evan Phillips beats Burnt Out Nugget Brad Brach by Memorial Day and all summer long...the regular season now is partly about doing that enough of the 1425 innings you ideally don't have to tax Gerrit Cole or Walker Buehler or Grayson Rodriguez until the tournament.    In Corbin Burnes' case, maybe you still don't.

I think Jorge Lopez just wants to pitch, and his 2021-2022 ERA outcomes reflect the Orioles' choices a little bit more than his "true talent" compared to many other pitchers, even in recent history.   

I see--thanks.