What do you want to see with picks 33, 42, 67

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I was about to post the same thing.  Just saw that BA’s second best available is an OFer from Oregon St

If he bats left-handed he's going to be the most likely selection. lol 

Never can have too many outfielders.

I like the Jackson Holliday pick, but really dislike the 2 picks afterward. Realize teams shouldn't draft for need, but there were several highly rated pitchers available that the Os passed on. This draft (as well as last year's draft) makes no sense. Teams also need to pitch to be successful despite what Sig's analytics say

Edited by cnmilton

Just now, cnmilton said:

I like the Jackson Holliday pick, but really dislike the 2 picks afterward. Realize teams shouldn't draft for need, but there were several highly rated pitchers available that the Os passed on. This draft (as well as last year's draft) makes no sense. Teams also need to pitch to be successful despite what Signs analytics say

I sincerely doubt Sigs analytics say that you do not need to pitch to be successful. 

6 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

I sincerely doubt Sigs analytics say that you do not need to pitch to be successful. 

This is the equivalent of an NFL team refusing to draft QB's because of the failure rate. Sure, you can draft them later in the draft, but the chances of finding a franchise qb are very difficult or next to impossible. Plus, teams that have TOR starting pitching or franchise QB aren't really looking to trade that asset, so your team is stuck with 2nd tier (at best) alternatives

1 minute ago, cnmilton said:

This is the equivalent of an NFL team refusing to draft QB's because of the failure rate. Sure, you can draft them later in the draft, but the chances of finding a franchise qb are very difficult or next to impossible. Plus, teams that have TOR starting pitching or franchise QB aren't really looking to trade that asset, so your team is stuck with 2nd tier (at best) alternatives

It is not at all the equivalent.  TOR starting pitching is traded frequently.  Drafting pitching is also much more volatile than even quarterbacks in the NFL.  It's a complete apples to oranges comparison.  You can find contenders littered with starting pitching they didn't draft. 

Was cool seeing Eric Davis looking well.

At this point the big fish dance is mostly just Porter-Whisenhunt, right?    We'll see if TBR cut a deal for one of them, they are at the end of the 2nd before our Comp pick acquired from Miami.

I guess now is when the real fruit of the Sulser-Scott sell off comes in.

1 minute ago, Big Mac said:

It is not at all the equivalent.  TOR starting pitching is traded frequently.  Drafting pitching is also much more volatile than even quarterbacks in the NFL.  It's a complete apples to oranges comparison.  You can find contenders littered with starting pitching they didn't draft. 

Elias is following the Astros model where they went and acquired high priced veteran pitchers to fill out the starting rotation.

The one thing I question with this strategy being carried out on the Orioles is ownership’s appetite to increase payroll.

Sure top of the rotation pitchers are available in trade or free agency, but if Elias is working on a limited budget it decreases from the available pool of talent he can target.