2022 18th Round Pick (#527): Andrew Walters - P - (JR) Miami (FL)

7 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I feel pretty confident saying that McLean and Hicks aren't going to be signing for $1.2M over their slot values. 

We don't know the numbers yet, but there will be unspent pool money.

Are you counting the 5% over?

The Orioles have never gone over the pool cap.

Edited by RZNJ

If Walters wanted $1.7M than I have to question who his advisor is.  Maybe he truly does want to play with his brother but that number is ridiculous.  The O’s took a chance on signing him but reality has to show up at some point with these players.  Hopefully for him he has a great year and improves his draft standing for next year.  Quite a gamble though as $1.7M is a very high slot number for next year.

6 minutes ago, baltfan said:

It's not confederate money.  We took flyers on some guys.  The problem is that NIL deals can really help these guys make up what they might have lost.  

There isn't really much NIL money in baseball yet. My understanding is that at most, the very best players are making enough to fully cover their cost of attendance (given that all baseball scholarships are only partial scholarships). Would be happy to learn otherwise if you have any additional info.

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

No, the $1.2M doesn't count the 5 percent over.

Ok. I thought we had 700K to play with and I could definitely see McLean at 700K over slot.  Rhodes, in a similar situation was 600K over last year.

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

1.2M  includes the slot 3 money.

They are probably trying to keep Mcleans bonus at no more than 1.2M.

The fact that Walters number was $1.7M suggests that $1.7M is pretty close to the exact maximum that the Orioles could have offered if they were willing to hit the overage limit (approximately $850K) while signing Walters, McLean and Hicks.

So my guess is that Walters representative believed/knew that McLean will/would sign for no more than $475K above slot, which is the most that the Orioles could have offered to stay under the 5 percent overage, while also paying Walters $1.7M. 

My guess is that right now they are circling back around to Mathes and Young to figure out whether they can drain the pool without going (much) into the overage.

Edited by MurphDogg

McLean probably figures he’ll get around the same amount next year as he was offered this year. But other things in life matter besides money. In this case you’re asking him to forgo playing with his brother, earning his degree, and having a chance at the cws (something he values). The orioles and other teams weren’t willing to offer enough to buy him out of those experiences 

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

The fact that Walters number was $1.7M suggests that $1.7M is pretty close to the exact maximum that the Orioles could have offered if they were willing to hit the overage limit (approximately $850K) while signing Walters, McLean and Hicks.

So my guess is that McLean and Hicks will/would sign for around $475K above slot, which is the most that the Orioles could have offered to stay under the 5 percent overage, while also paying Walters $1.7M. 

The overage was something like 800K.  The Orioles have 1.2M of pool money before signing McLean.  If they signed McLean for slot they still wouldn't have had 1.7M even using all of the overage money.

3 minutes ago, seak05 said:

McLean probably figures he’ll get around the same amount next year as he was offered this year. But other things in life matter besides money. In this case you’re asking him to forgo playing with his brother, earning his degree, and having a chance at the cws (something he values). The orioles and other teams weren’t willing to offer enough to buy him out of those experiences 

Walters.

39 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

There isn't really much NIL money in baseball yet. My understanding is that at most, the very best players are making enough to fully cover their cost of attendance (given that all baseball scholarships are only partial scholarships). Would be happy to learn otherwise if you have any additional info.

There might not be much NIL money, but if ever there was going to be some it would be to retain guys that were drafted.  Nonetheless, I get your point.  We will see how much possible money was left for him once, and if, McLean is signed.  

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The overage was something like 800K.  The Orioles have 1.2M of pool money before signing McLean.  If they signed McLean for slot they still wouldn't have had 1.7M even using all of the overage money.

You're right, my mistake, I wasn't counting McLean's slot value in the pool.

If they signed McLean for slot, they could have offered Walters a maximum of approximately $1.4M before going over 5 percent so $1.7M was never a realistic ask.

I still expect there to be pool value remaining, as I would be pretty surprised if McLean gets a larger bonus than Fabian, but I have certainly been surprised at how signing bonuses have turned out before.

Edited by MurphDogg
  • Upvote 1

It’s a huge failure on the Os part to not sign McClean.  Not because he’s some definite stud but because you need to know that number if you draft him.  They could have done a lot of other things.

I think he signs, so this will be a moot point.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Walters wanted $1.7M, so all of the overslot dollars plus the 4.9 percent overage. Not surprising that the Orioles passed on that.

Wow, that's high second-round slot money, I can't imagine him getting selected that high next season. He'd have to be the among the top 5 relievers in the NCAA and also be in a generally weak draft class.