07/26/22 Roster Moves: Terrin Vavra is called up from Norfolk (MLB debut) and Arauz to the IL

OsFanSinceThe80s

It's so odd today that it makes me think something is happening. But I have no idea what ha. I have a few theories but still don't think it would effect Vavra actually playing. Maybe getting rid of an infielder from AAA temporarily to showcase Bannon to be included for a potential trade? Or maybe Hyde is mad that it's not Westburg or Gunnar up and this is him sticking it to them. No clue, but there has to be some sense for it...right?...🙄

Edited by scbalt52

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Honestly this series has made me sour on Hyde immensely. I don't even want to watch the game today. What is the thought process here? It feels like the Duquette/Buck disconnect all over again. 

Honestly, it's justifiable. I will preface this by saying that I believe Vavra should've started last night. Not sure how they can justify not starting him last night if they knew the starter for today. However, the Rays starter today is pretty substantially worse against RH hitters. Chirinos, as bad as he is, pretty much had to catch today. Mullins and Odor are out because of the splits. They are going with a RH heavy lineup against a guy who struggles against RH hitters. Not much deeper than that. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Wow, Mullins gets the day off and we can't find a way to get Vavra in the lineup. He has to at least pinch hit for Nevin or McKenna at some point, doesn't he? 

We are facing a lefty who career wise gives up an OPS 100 points higher to RH hitters than LH hitters, and this season his splits are even more drastic.   Vavra and Mullins and Odor, our LH hitters, get the day off.

Adley gets the day off because he has played 6 straight days, catching 5 of them including the last 3 nights in a row.

• Upvote 1

Vavra's minor league OPS vs. lefties the last 3 seasons have been .701, .500 (45 plate appearances, as he was hurt most of 2021), and .696.

Odor's career MLB OPS vs. lefties is .689 (.728 against righties).

I think Odor gives them a beter chance to win against MLB lefties at this point. It is unfortunate that the Rays have started lefties in two of the three games against the O's since Vavra came up, and I agree that Vavra should have started last night, but I don't think sitting Vavra today against a lefty is a bad call.

Edited by MurphDogg
  • Upvote 1

Just now, SteveA said:

We are facing a lefty who career wise gives up an OPS 100 points higher to RH hitters than LH hitters, and this season his splits are even more drastic.   Vavra and Mullins and Odor, our LH hitters, get the day off.

Adley gets the day off because he has played 6 straight days, catching 5 of them including the last 3 nights in a row.

Stacking the lineup with RH, I get it. Hopefully we see Vavra off the bench.  

1 minute ago, scbalt52 said:

It's so odd today that it makes me think something is happening. But I have no idea what ha. I have a few theories but still don't think it would effect Vavra actually playing. Maybe getting rid of an infielder from AAA temporarily to showcase Bannon to be included for a potential trade? No clue, but there has to be some sense for it...right?...🙄

What is odd?   We are facing a LHP who gives up a lot more to RH than LH and we have an all RH lineup.

You might not agree with the strategy, but don't pretend it's some kind of inexplainable mystery like crop circles or something.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

What is odd?   We are facing a LHP who gives up a lot more to RH than LH and we have an all RH lineup.

You might not agree with the strategy, but don't pretend it's some kind of inexplainable mystery like crop circles or something.

I don't think today is as odd as yesterday. It might not be anything. Just seems pretty strange he doesn't play either day.

Just now, scbalt52 said:

I don't think today is as odd as yesterday. It might not be anything. Just seems pretty strange he doesn't play either day.

Yes, it seems like Vavra could/should have played last night.   Right now he is being treated as the replacement for Arrauz, who was the 26th man on the roster and rarely played.  

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Yes, it seems like Vavra could/should have played last night.   Right now he is being treated as the replacement for Arrauz, who was the 26th man on the roster and rarely played.  

Agreed, but I think that is odd. That's all. Bannon could've played that role, he's used to it. I guess he will play this weekend or he was just here to see what the MLB guys do each day.

12 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Vavra's minor league OPS vs. lefties the last 3 seasons have been .701, .500 (45 plate appearances, as he was hurt most of 2021), and .696.

Odor's career MLB OPS vs. lefties is .689 (.728 against righties).

I think Odor gives them a beter chance to win against MLB lefties at this point. It is unfortunate that the Rays have started lefties in two of the three games against the O's since Vavra came up, and I agree that Vavra should have started last night, but I don't think sitting Vavra today against a lefty is a bad call.

I just don't know why we are even concerned with "better chance to win". Who cares?? It's not about this year. I don't care how well they're playing, they aren't a playoff team. Especially with their best pitcher on the shelf. Play the prospects for crying out loud. There's only 2 months left. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I just don't know why we are even concerned with "better chance to win". Who cares?? It's not about this year. I don't care how well they're playing, they aren't a playoff team. Especially with their best pitcher on the shelf. Play the prospects for crying out loud. There's only 2 months left. 

You play to win the game.

They are 4 games out of the Wild Card and are playing one of their Wild Card competitors. Even if you wanted them to throw in the towel on the season, they should still put out their best possible lineup against contenders for the sake of competitive integrity and save the lesser lineups for games against non-contenders.

Edited by MurphDogg

27 minutes ago, interloper said:

If you don't care if they win or lose, why do you care at all about the lineup and who's in it?  Why are you paying attention to any of it?

The team is doing well.  I think most people would like to see that continue, and would like the team to put their best foot forward daily, as long as they don't do anything stupid to impact the long term vision.  Sitting Vavra for a few games certainly doesn't qualify as impacting long term. 

An all RH lineup makes sense given the numbers shown in this thread, even though I would have left Mullins in there myself.  I wonder if TB changes their pitching strategy as a result?  I don't think they formally announced Yarborough, maybe they pull a fast one and go for a straight up BP game, who knows.

I don't love the lineup but I'm not going to suddenly thing Hyde sucks because of it (not saying you are doing that, but others have said essentially that).

23 minutes ago, JustLearning said:

I think it's pretty crappy that Vavra has waited all this time to get the call and they bench him. I don't understand why the Jersey number matters, but at least Stowers got to play one game. 

What was the point in calling him up to warm the bench?

He hasn't been called up just for this series. I have no doubt that he will play before being sent down.

If he does get sent down without having played I will join some of the rest of you guys with your pitchforks.

• Upvote 1