Who Will O's Take?

No but he has already implied that in order to sign, someone will have to pay well over slot, and he (IMO) is not a way over slot kind of player.

Posey said it would take close to $10mios to sign him last year. Lots of posturing goes on before the draft. Let's see what happens when Tate is selected 6th and offered a few million to play for his hometown Braves.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As of right now, what do you think the top 5 order would be?

Well, what do I think it should be or who do I think would get drafted?

My top 5:

Strasburg

White

Green

Matzek

Davidson

What I would project:

WAS -Strasburg

SEA - Green

SDN - White

PIT - Ackley (if he isn't limited to 1B) otherwise Crow

BAL - Matzek or Crow

My top 5:

Strasburg

White

Green

Matzek

Davidson

What I would project:

WAS -Strasburg

SEA - Green

SDN - White

BAL - Matzek or Crow

Granted, he's coming out of high school, I would love to take Matzek if he is still available to us at the fifth pick in the draft.

How far away does Matzek from the majors? 2012? 2013? I think it'd be really great to have an established, playoff-caliber core and still have guys like Matzek and Rowell (perhaps?) coming up.

Point being, now that we have some real talent coming up in the next year or two, lets get the farm stocked so that we have a constant flow of great talent coming up. That's why, among many many many other reasons, I'd take Matzek over anyone that would be available at #5.

How far away does Matzek from the majors? 2012? 2013? I think it'd be really great to have an established, playoff-caliber core and still have guys like Matzek and Rowell (perhaps?) coming up.

Point being, now that we have some real talent coming up in the next year or two, lets get the farm stocked so that we have a constant flow of great talent coming up. That's why, among many many many other reasons, I'd take Matzek over anyone that would be available at #5.

First wave of pitchers:

Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman

Next wave of pitchers:

Matzek (if that's who we draft), Bundy, Erbe

First wave of pitchers:

Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman

Next wave of pitchers:

Matzek (if that's who we draft), Bundy, Erbe

Erbe will be right about the same time as Tillman. Bundy would be a couple years behind that most likely, and Matzek you are looking at 2013 if he does well at each stop. That is a big if though.

Matzek would be an excellent pick as of right now, but the next 5 months will tell you such a different story on this draft. There will be some pitcher that no one is counting on to come out of no where and insert their self into the top 5 talk. There will be players to get hurt and be forgotten, and there will be players that don't perform well and drop.

Erbe will be right about the same time as Tillman. Bundy would be a couple years behind that most likely, and Matzek you are looking at 2013 if he does well at each stop. That is a big if though.

Matzek would be an excellent pick as of right now, but the next 5 months will tell you such a different story on this draft. There will be some pitcher that no one is counting on to come out of no where and insert their self into the top 5 talk. There will be players to get hurt and be forgotten, and there will be players that don't perform well and drop.

Matzek could be a fast mover, if he indeed has command of his pitches.

Yeah, someone like Jacob Turner/Shelby Miller/Matt Purke could easily establish himself as the top HS arm come June. Obviously, signability issues can always spring up.

Matzek could be a fast mover, if he indeed has command of his pitches.

That 2013 projection is assuming he moves fast. HS pitchers need a while to season, that is assuming he signs right away and gets some time in the GCL, then a full season in A-(2010). A full season in A+ (2011) the lower minor seasons are important to young guys, the O's are big believers in that. Then even if he split some time AA/AAA in 2012, you wouldn't see him before 2013, when he would be 21 and still very young.

Like Stotle said, there are a few HS arms out there that could pass Matzek this season, I am scouting Purke right now, and he doesn't seem far behind Matzek right now, but senior year of HS is a MAJOR development year for players. So I want to see 10 starts each before I am ready to compare.

I think I'd definitely take Matzek over Crow. That kid has great mechanics from what I've seen, and probably would have a higher upside. It may take him a bit longer to get here, but I think our pitching depth is enough to let him develop nice and slow.

I'd rather not take Crow. I think his mechanics are destined for elbow problems within a few years. Matzek and Tate are my favorite prospects right now at 5. If a college hitter or pitcher is there, and is deserving of the that pick, I think they would get the nod.

Matzek is a guy that may have to the talent to rise quickly, but I'd think the earliest you'd see him is 2014. The organization takes things slowly with HS pitchers, with Tillman being the obvious exception. Tate is very interesting to me as he has all the tools and athleticism.

There is obviously a long way to go, but that is how I see it this early. There will probably be a lot of movement in the top 10, as always. If Strasburg and Green aren't there at 5, then to me it's really wide open right now. Ackley is very interesting as I really like his swing mechanics, but you'd think his arm has to recover to legit CF strength to be considered in the top 5.

I'd rather not take Crow. I think his mechanics are destined for elbow problems within a few years. Matzek and Tate are my favorite prospects right now at 5. If a college hitter or pitcher is there, and is deserving of the that pick, I think they would get the nod.

Matzek is a guy that may have to the talent to rise quickly, but I'd think the earliest you'd see him is 2014. The organization takes things slowly with HS pitchers, with Tillman being the obvious exception. Tate is very interesting to me as he has all the tools and athleticism.

There is obviously a long way to go, but that is how I see it this early. There will probably be a lot of movement in the top 10, as always. If Strasburg and Green aren't there at 5, then to me it's really wide open right now. Ackley is very interesting as I really like his swing mechanics, but you'd think his arm has to recover to legit CF strength to be considered in the top 5.

I highly recommend going to YouTube and searching for "Tyler Matzek" You'll come up with a 20 second video of him throwing two pitches. Then you'll fall in love with his delivery. It's smooth as silk and appears effortless which indicates to be the Matzek will be healthy for a long time. He is in the Matusz mold so that's a good sign. Sure, he will take a couple years to work through the system, but we ought to have someone willing to step up and take Tillman or Arrieta's spot, one day.

Has anyone else read Feinstein's "Next Man Up." It seems like the MLB is evolving into that.

My top 5:

Strasburg

White

Green

Matzek

Davidson

What I would project:

WAS -Strasburg

SEA - Green

SDN - White

BAL - Matzek or Crow

Anyone know who Green's agent is?? If it's Boras, we are getting more comfortable working with him it seems, at least with Weiters. Maybe wishful thinking that it is Boras so he will fall because no one will want to deal with Boras

Archived