Who Will O's Take?

and we were very lucky he fell to us when the hapless Pirates refused to deal with Borass.

But we always seem to miss out on the David Price, Pedro Alvarez types...

Matusz has been labeled can't miss, so we'll see what he does if he stays healthy...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am confused with the "as usual" portion of your post. In the last 2 drafts, the Orioles have chosen 5th and 4th, respectively. So, by your logic, Wieters and Matusz were not "Can't-Miss guys" because they were not top 3 picks???

Have to agree, Doc. Plenty of great picks outside of the top 3 -- not to mention all top 3s are not created equal.

What's the story with Donovan Tate? Is he out of the picture because he's committed to UNC? I know prep basketball players commit to a college, and reneg and sign with an NBA team (before Stern implemented the new rule).

Commits aren't obligated to attend.

I'd say a good possibility (barring him jumping into the top 3, which is possible). All things equal, I imagine Atlanta will grab him at 6 if he's available.

But Atlanta has so much OF depth.

Heyward, Francouer, Schafer, Hernandez.

Do they want more?

I think Kyle Gibson might be a good pick for them.

But Atlanta has so much OF depth.

Heyward, Francouer, Schafer, Hernandez.

Do they want more?

I think Kyle Gibson might be a good pick for them.

Tate likely doesn't project until -- what? -- 2013? I don't think ATL, a cost-conscious organization, is going to fret about having a ready replacement for any of their current young stars. Plus, it makes it easier to move someone like Schafer, Jones, Hernandez down the road.

I would just find it hard to believe they pass on the local kid in the top 10, given their history of scouting heavily in-state.

Would we take Tate ahead of say Alex White or Tyler Matzek?

BTW, how is Tate's defense?

Tate is solid defensively. Good baseball instincts but still needs to refine them. Decent arm and good speed. Tracks pretty well but could improve his routes. He looked good last time I saw him (Under Armour game at Wrigley).

Sure, it's definitely possible to take him. As far as ahead of White/Matzek, I wouldn't but I am not privvy to BAL's scouting reports or Joe Jordan's preference at this point. I'd imagine White definitely goes first and probably Matzek as well (were the draft today).

Tate is solid defensively. Good baseball instincts but still needs to refine them. Decent arm and good speed. Tracks pretty well but could improve his routes. He looked good last time I saw him (Under Armour game at Wrigley).

Sure, it's definitely possible to take him. As far as ahead of White/Matzek, I wouldn't but I am not privvy to BAL's scouting reports or Joe Jordan's preference at this point. I'd imagine White definitely goes first and probably Matzek as well (were the draft today).

As of right now, what do you think the top 5 order would be?

Archived