Bowie’s second half playoff drive

Frobby

The Eastern League’s playoff format this year divides the season into two halves.   Bowie was far out of it in the first-half standings, going 27-42.   But in the second half, bolstered by the additions of Cowser and Norby and the recent hot bat of Ortiz, the Baysox are 19-8, best record in the league and a game up on Erie in the Southwest Division.   Obviously, there’s still a long way to go, but the split-season format provides a lot more excitement for Bowie fans this year than the previous full-season format would have (the Baysox are 46-50 combined).

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

The Eastern League’s playoff format this year divides the season into two halves.   Bowie was far out of it in the first-half standings, going 27-42.   But in the second half, bolstered by the additions of Cowser and Norby and the recent hot bat of Ortiz, the Baysox are 19-8, best record in the league and a game up on Erie in the Southwest Division.   Obviously, there’s still a long way to go, but the split-season format provides a lot more excitement for Bowie fans this year than the previous full-season format would have (the Baysox are 46-50 combined).

I'm a fan of the split season and think they should find a way to do this in the major leagues. This would be a great way to keep fans engaged and stop teams from tanking on purpose for very long.

I have no idea if this is the rationale behind it, but doing it in the minor leagues always seemed to coincide with the fact that the rosters would almost always be totally different both halves, due to promotions out of and into each level right around mid-season. 

Regardless, I like it. 

40-29 was the record of First Half first place.   I don't know if Second Half is precisely the same number of games.

Erie (DET - Ty Madden, Dillon Dingler, Parker Meadows) has kept up pretty well.    I imagine league semifinals are half champs squaring off, and I guess wildcard of some type if same team wins both halves.

This week at Akron, last year's champs and a team that tied for First Half first place.

I am bracing myself now for the MASN oooh-ing and aaah-ing when Grayson Rodriguez triumphantly makes it "all the way back" to Bowie.

Edited by Just Regular

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

No offense to Bowie but I couldn't care less.  I'd like to see Ortiz promoted today, and Cowser after the 200 AB threshold which seems to be almost mandatory for most prospects.  

Ortiz and Cowser to Norfolk would work nicely with Gunnar and Stowers to Baltimore.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Ortiz and Cowser to Norfolk would work nicely with Gunnar and Stowers to Baltimore.

That would work nicely but I think there's no chance of Gunnar before the 45 day threshold.  

Promote Stowers and release Bannon, Gutierrez, or Grenier.

Bowie’s lineup is almost all prospects and no organizational filler with Mayo back. This is the lineup tonight:

Norby

Cowser

Ortiz

Haskin

Prieto 

Mayo

Rhodes

Handley 

Welk 

I’d say Welk is the only non prospect in the lineup. They’re definitely fun to follow right now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With 4 weeks to go, Bowie is tied with Erie for the lead in the Southwest Division of the Eastern League, at 29-16. They are also tied for the best record in the entire EL for the second half.  

Looking ahead, Bowie hosts Altoona (25-20), visits Erie (29-16), hosts Richmond (15-29) and visits Akron (24-20).  Erie visits Harrisburg (14-30), hosts Bowie (29-16), hosts Altoona (25-20) and visits Richmond (15-29).  So, Erie has the easier schedule and gets to play the series against Bowie at home.  Advantage Erie, but Bowie will need to go to Erie and do some damage there.  

Both Bowie and Erie had 4-2 weeks as the Baysox kept pace, while Erie had its Harrisburg "easy schedule".

The big week is here, at Erie and TBD if by Tuesday any top talents are moving around.    I don't think they'll send Gunnar to Cleveland, and if they bring him up for Oakland at OPACY next weekend, I feel sure they wouldn't yank any Baysox out of Erie mid-week.

Bowie won the critical Game 1 of its series with Erie, 6-5, behind Connor Norby’s two homers, triple and 4 RBI.  In classic minor league fashion, the Baysox scored the winning run in the ninth on a Cody Roberts double followed by two wild pitches.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Bowie won the critical Game 1 of its series with Erie, 6-5, behind Connor Norby’s two homers, triple and 4 RBI.  In classic minor league fashion, the Baysox scored the winning run in the ninth on a Cody Roberts double followed by two wild pitches.  

Ugly game for Erie.  The two WPs for the go ahead run and they also gave up a couple runs earlier in the game on 2 errors.  Gotta love MiLB - so entertaining.