Why isn’t Stowers here?

ManciniFan

56 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think a 3-3.5 win player is a reasonable optimistic projection for Stowers.  That's putting him in a top 50 position player territory.

And sure a 40 rank guy could be something, but Stowers on the team this year could theoretically lead to a playoff appearance and even if the O's don't advance how much is that worth?  Him getting acclimated this season could theoretically  lead to a better season next year which could have positive ramifications.

I don't think the extra year on Stowers is all that valuable either...which is why I don't think that's the primary reason he isn't currently on the MLB team

(now the extra year on Henderson could be extremely valuable, but draft picks are also valuable)

9 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I don't think the extra year on Stowers is all that valuable either...which is why I don't think that's the primary reason he isn't currently on the MLB team

(now the extra year on Henderson could be extremely valuable, but draft picks are also valuable)

Why not ….Cowser, Kjerstad, and Hashkins are on the way. If he has a good start here Stowers would be more valuable with an extra year of control to the team trading for him. That would make the asking price higher.  

Edited by Roll Tide

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Why not ….Cowser, Kjerstad, and Hashkins are on the way. If he has a good start here Stowers would be more valuable with an extra year of control to the team trading for him. That would make the asking price higher.  

Schoop got traded with an extra year of control...and got released when the acquiring team didn't want to pay arbitration prices.

Extra control isn't always valuable.

13 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

It’ll still be an arbitration year, so it’s not cheap, and Stowers won’t be particularly young either. By 30’s a lot of guys are slowing down. Stowers strikes me as more of a potential good starter, then potential all star. Not saying it will have no value, but probably not enough to make that a reason to keep him down if they really wanted him in Baltimore. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

The idea that Elias is worried about the service time of a 24 year old solid but not special prospect? 

Not buying it for one second. 

I'm the one that's convinced he was worried about Mountcastle's service time.

If he did it for Mountcastle, why not for Stowers?

I think it's, I don't want to say compulsion because that has a negative connotation to it.

I think he is extremely careful about maximizing potential future value.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm the one that's convinced he was worried about Mountcastle's service time.

If he did it for Mountcastle, why not for Stowers?

I think it's, I don't want to say compulsion because that has a negative connotation to it.

I think he is extremely careful about maximizing potential future value.

You are comparing Mountcastle to Stowers? Ryan was on Top 100 lists for years. 

Mountcastle was also on a brutal team. 

He said months ago about Hall coming up. He is willing to bring him up and not Stowers?

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

You are comparing Mountcastle to Stowers? Ryan was on Top 100 lists for years. 

Mountcastle was also on a brutal team. 

He said months ago about Hall coming up. He is willing to bring him up and not Stowers?

Yep he said months ago that Hall would spend "Much" of the season in Baltimore.

How's that been going?

And yea, I'll compare Stowers to a RH 1B/DH that hung out near the bottom of some top 100 lists.  I think he's a better comp than Machado.  😉

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep he said months ago that Hall would spend "Much" of the season in Baltimore.

How's that been going?

And yea, I'll compare Stowers to a RH 1B/DH that hung out near the bottom of some top 100 lists.  I think he's a better comp than Machado.  😉

What motivation would he have to lie about that?  Mr Close to the Vest could have said a million things and deflect. 

Manny has nothing to do with this. I didn’t bring him up. Ryan was a high school player who was on prospect lists for years. 

20 hours ago, wildcard said:

Fans seem to hate Odor playing 2B and they’ve seen too much of him of him there.

Ftfy….

There is every indication that Elias does no trust his defense at 2B.  That is why he played CF in the minors.  If you saw him play 2B you probably would say 'Roogie would have turned that double play'.

“Roogie” is -4 DRS and -5 OAA at 2B. Not exactly lighting it up defensively. People like his leadership? Great, tell him he can stay on as a cheerleader and they’ll continue to pay his salary, but I’d guess he passes on that. 

Vavra takes over 2B and doesn’t play well? Great, the Orioles have this Urias guy who seems capable. Stowers goes to RF, Santander to DH. 

Guys have performed at AAA and need to be up. I appreciate the contribution of Odor, but it’s time to move on from him and Nevin. They’re taking up spots on the ML roster they haven’t earned.

Edited by Il BuonO

3 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

“Roogie” is -4 DRS and -5 OAA at 2B. Not exactly lighting it up defensively. People like his leadership? Great, tell him he can stay on as a cheerleader and they’ll continue to pay his salary, but I’d guess he passes on that. 

Vavra takes over 2B and doesn’t play well? Great, the Orioles have this Urias guy who seems capable. Stowers goes to RF, Santander to DH. 

Guys have performed at AAA and need to be up. I appreciate the contribution of Odor, but it’s time to move on from him and Nevin. They’re taking up spots on the ML roster they haven’t earned.

I think we should all get used to players being at AAA that have earned a shot in the majors.   Elias' objective  has been accumulated talent.  And he continue to do that.  So there will be times when players will be stuck at AAA waiting for a callup.

Vavra has hit well.  Given the O's a spark.   He is the DH pretty obviously because the O's have seen him play 2B and don't think he is as good at turning the double play as Odor.

So there we have it.  Hays, Mullins, Santander in the outfield.  Varva at DH.   

I think there is a case to be made for Gunnar at 3B, Urias at 2B and Odor to the bench.

But Stowers is stuck waiting for an injury.

Edited by wildcard

7 hours ago, seak05 said:

It’ll still be an arbitration year, so it’s not cheap, and Stowers won’t be particularly young either. By 30’s a lot of guys are slowing down. Stowers strikes me as more of a potential good starter, then potential all star. Not saying it will have no value, but probably not enough to make that a reason to keep him down if they really wanted him in Baltimore. 

A year of arbitration vs a rental. I bet I know what typically yields a better return 

15 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

A year of arbitration vs a rental. I bet I know what typically yields a better return 

Then why ever bring anyone up, why is Vavra up? The orioles weren’t planning on winning this year, why is Adley up? 

You can twist yourself into circles with “service time games”. They do happen, and it does matter. But how often, & how much it matters is way overstated. You potentially do it with someone like Gunnar, I think this board rates Stowers higher then most other places.