O's Fans Held Hostage - Day 18

bigbird

I never said the Bedard move was a whatever move but thanks for trying to put words into my mouth..you are really good at that.

Hey, if I remember poorly, I'm sorry. I really thought I remembered you saying that the Bedard trade was not worthy of praise because it was exactly the kind of trade a GM should pull off. That seemed a kind of "meh" take on the trade.

Something like this:

Do you credit for grading papers? It's his freakin job!

And unless he ends up with Clement, Jones, Triunfel, Morrow and Tillman, i don't see how he should get credit.(at least, not getting on your knees credit that you seem to be talking about)

If he ends up doing some kind of variation to a deal that we have been discussing on here for over a month, he hasn't done anythign spectacular.

Again, if you didn't think that, I'm sorry. I don't think it's true that I put words in your mouth, however. But I'm not sure where - beyond that not exactly on point quote - I remember this from.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rebuilding means we are filling positions of need(we have many) with qualty young playes who will be there a while. Positionally I count only Jones thus far.

The Bradford deal was disturbing, saying we can't afford individual players like TEX is even more so.

This year's take looks like a light hitting shortstop, a couple of very mediocre starting pitchers , Hinske, and a backup catcher. No rebuilding there at all.

I don't think we know yet how the off season will turn out. There is no way to know if MacPhail is going to trade Roberts, Huff or Scott for prospects.

Of course that's true: You can lose salary fast, whereas adding talent takes either dev-time or adding established stars who ramp the payroll costs right back up.

Any GM who is gonna lose guys with fat contracts and be careful about adding talent will show the same result (unless they spend what they save by signing megabuck FA's right away).

Using regression analysis to reach a conclusion like that is like using a howitzer when all you need is a pea shooter.

However, saying "regression analysis" certainly sounds complicated and sophisticated, which is often good for intimidating people ;-)

It's a little more apt than that, Shack. I deal a lot with regression analysis in the litigation context (I don't do the regressions, of course) and the issues are the same: we don't know an actual cause but we can align the data.

Sure, it's a little fancy, but it's not inapt. It's not like you don't have your flights of intellectual fancy around here.

It's a little more apt than that, Shack. I deal a lot with regression analysis in the litigation context (I don't do the regressions, of course) and the issues are the same: we don't know an actual cause but we can align the data.

Sure, it's a little fancy, but it's not inapt.

It's useful for demonstrating things that may not be otherwise apparent or demonstrable.

In this case, we're dealing with obviousness that doesn't require the number-crunching.

You don't need to roll out august guns to show what he's saying.

Nor do you need to twist it so that it sounds like something it's not. (Not that that ever happens in law either, I guess ;-)

No, it's much better than Hendrickson/Redding/whoever

Not to mention cheaper.

Who cares if it's cheaper? Your three included a guy wit a 6+ era, one coming off an injury and the other who has not been successful at AAA. It makes me want to barf but I would take Hendrickson, Redding and Colon over those three.

Archived