O's Fans Held Hostage - Day 18

bigbird

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dec 10 - O's agree to deal with Izturis - We still need 3 starting pitchers, a starting catcher, a first baseman, a utility infielder.

18 days and counting....

I don't think we need 3 starting pitchers and we don't neccessarily need a first baseman.

I've said it a million times now but Huff at 1st, Scott DH, Reimold LF. No need to waste a roster spot on a scrub like Casey or Hinske.

I'd be incredibly dissapointed if we signed 3 SP, especially since the guys we are targeting are Hendrickson, Redding, etc. Kawakami is the only pitcher we are targeting who is worth a crap, IMO.

I don't think we need 3 starting pitchers and we don't neccessarily need a first baseman.

I've said it a million times now but Huff at 1st, Scott DH, Reimold LF. No need to waste a roster spot on a scrub like Casey or Hinske.

I'd be incredibly dissapointed if we signed 3 SP, especially since the guys we are targeting are Hendrickson, Redding, etc. Kawakami is the only pitcher we are targeting who is worth a crap, IMO.

You're right...we need 4. Just because we are targeting crappy pitchers doesn't mean we don't need SP...it just means we don't know what we're doing.

Believe it or not, some people are diehard O's fans no matter what, but would like their team to show them some support and appreciation as well.

If you feel like you are held hostage because it is December 28 and your team hasn't signed the right SP yet, then you need to gain some perspective. We are not going out and signing Sheets or any other premium SPs right now or until we get better. If you want to blame MacPhail for Tex and Burnett go ahead. He can't make people sign here without significantly overpaying and he doesn't seem to want to do that. We need to continue to build from within and make this an attractive free agent destination.

Either way, the phrase being held hostage really doesn't apply, as there are TONS of other ways to kill your time when 99% of baseball is shut down. NFL is going to be huge today. A good ACC game. You are not held hostage unless you are holding yourself hostage.

Good post, BB. Here's what bothers me: http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/schmuck/2008/12/orioles_catching_up.html

Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail is in Florida for a few days of R&R, so there probably won't be much going on until after New Years Day

Yes, he's trading phone calls as it says in the article from Pete, but still missing out on Tex I think he should be in town trying to put deals together. Then again, PA probably told him to get some R&R and told him we'll take care of business after the New Year.:rolleyes::angryfire:

Good post, BB. Here's what bothers me: http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/schmuck/2008/12/orioles_catching_up.html

Yes, he's trading phone calls as it says in the article from Pete, but still missing out on Tex I think he should be in town trying to put deals together. Then again, PA probably told him to get some R&R and told him we'll take care of business after the New Year.:rolleyes::angryfire:

Geez, this thread is absurd as is your assertion that a man can't take a break around the Holiday's. Whether the moves we need to make are done on Dec. 28th or January 28th is absolutely irrelevant.

There are about 25 or 26 teams who have done exactly what we've done in the last 18 days. What's the big deal?

MacPhail is currently watching price tags decline. Lowe, Sheets and Wolf prices are all dropping. If they drop, the guys under them drop. Wolf wants three years. He is probably not going to get it. Pettitte is still considering his reduction from 16 to 10M.

Clubs are saying more and more that they are done adding or are decreasing their budgets. The crunch is coming.

MacPhail is playing the game. I wouldn't hold my breath wanting for him.

You're right...we need 4. Just because we are targeting crappy pitchers doesn't mean we don't need SP...it just means we don't know what we're doing.

No, we don't. We need to sign one guy to eat innings. Let the kids go out and pitch.

Guthrie

FA (Kawakami, hopefully)

Olson

Albers

Penn

If someone needs to be replaced, you have Hernandez, Bergesen, Berken in AAA who are all going to be ML ready by June, IMO. You laso have Waters and Bass who can start if needed. I really want to keep Liz in the pen, but would still rather see him start than Redding/Hendrickson. I think Patton, Arrieta, and Tillman could be ready by the AS Break.

Really?

This is the most absurd thing I have ever read on the Hangout.

A man who works almost everyday of the year isnt allowed to take a week off?

Hell, even the Yankees offices are closed this week.

Some of you people forget the human aspect of baseball. :rolleyes:

Archived