Kyle Stowers called up

RVAOsFan

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This makes me think Elias traded for Brett Phillips because he was working out a trade of Santander, Hays or Mullins that fell through at the trade deadline.

That's the only way the trade of Phillips makes any sense when the Orioles already have Ryan McKenna as a 4th outfielder who brings defense and speed. Even then, I think you could argue just call up Stowers and roll with players already in the organization. 

I don't buy this.  I thought someone was getting dealt at the time but I don't think Elias would make a move based off of an assumption.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

You know, it's funny.  I'm pretty sure last summer people were writing Stowers off as a legit prospect, but maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

And now all of a sudden he's a crucial part of our stretch drive.

I think he's far from a definite contributing ML player.

But on this team, a team with so little offensive talent, he absolutely could be crucial to this team down the stretch.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You know, it's funny.  I'm pretty sure last summer people were writing Stowers off as a legit prospect, but maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

And now all of a sudden he's a crucial part of our stretch drive.

I think there are legit question marks on Stowers with his high strikeout rate. Stowers isn't a sure bet by any measure, but with nearly half the lineup struggling since the all star break, it's natural for the fans to get hyped up by his promotion. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I could see playoff contender in need of a 4th outfielder for defense and pinch running possibly taking a flyer on Phillips. I think Phillips probably clears waivers if I had to bet on it. 

So if Phillips clears, we're out his whole pro rated salary, so like $600k, plus whatever cash considerations we gave Tampa? Not a big deal but kinda nuts we'd spend that much for a guy who never played.

18 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Richie Martin goes back when Vavra returns or at least that move makes the most sense with both of them being infielders. 

Unless they keep Martin up and send Nevin down. Neither seem to have much upside, but Nevin is just void of any particular skill that's average.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Unless they keep Martin up and send Nevin down. Neither seem to have much upside, but Nevin is just void of any particular skill that's average.

Yeah, I ended up thinking about Nevin right after posting my reply. With various players getting practice at 1B, it very well could be Nevin getting sent down especially if Martin can make a contribution.  

Here's hoping we see him produce rather quickly. It'll be fun to see a lineup down the stretch with Mullins, Rutschman, Santander, Mountcastle, Vavra, Stowers, Hays, Henderson, and Mateo/Urias. Now we just need Vavra back of paternity leave and Henderson called up next week.