Henderson coming up this week?

Roll Tide

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He didn’t say he wouldn’t be in Jax. He stated that he is rumored to be up this week and rather than stay in AAA.  He merely stated that the Tides are in Jax. 

Roch isn’t going to report an unfounded internet rumor.

He admitted on the podcast that it was merely a rumor and he couldn't get confirmation from the team. 

I suspect he they are not planning to bring him up while they are in Baltimore these three games against the White Sox.  They wouldn't have let him travel to Jacksonville.  Maybe this weekend he can fly over to Houston.  

Edited by accinfo

1 hour ago, Emory Eagle said:

What’s the podcast?

https://www.audacy.com/1057thefan/sports/baltimore-orioles/roch-kubatko-discusses-if-gunnar-henderson-callup-is-coming

Q: Is he not where Norfolk is? Is there any truth to that and is he coming up sooner rather than later?

A: I can't get it confirmed by anybody with the club. Sometimes nothing feels like a confirmation, but yeah, I'm hearing he's not with the club

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He didn’t say he wouldn’t be in Jax. He stated that he is rumored to be up this week and rather than stay in AAA.  He merely stated that the Tides are in Jax. 

Roch isn’t going to report an unfounded internet rumor.

So what rumor did he report?   If he is “rumored” to be up this week, that “rumor” comes from somewhere, right?   

6 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

https://www.audacy.com/1057thefan/sports/baltimore-orioles/roch-kubatko-discusses-if-gunnar-henderson-callup-is-coming

Q: Is he not where Norfolk is? Is there any truth to that and is he coming up sooner rather than later?

A: I can't get it confirmed by anybody with the club. Sometimes nothing feels like a confirmation, but yeah, I'm hearing he's not with the club

Maybe Gunnar just missed the team plane?  Haha. 

Realistically, isn’t he a little big to be playing 2B?  I get the versatility angle, but if he’s coming up… we’d want him locked into the spot he will play when he comes up here. 

Is today the day?  We could really use him at 3rd and Urias at 2B. Odor subbing in and starting a couple times a week vs RHP. Vavra is only an emergency 2B for the rest of the season. He just needs a MLB ST there to pick up the defense. 

Gunnar today

Hall 9/1

Nottingham 9/1 (so we can PH for Chirinos)

Wells 9/14 (maybe sooner if only BP)

Grayson 9/28

At 2.5 GB, Elias might wait and see how this road trip goes before pulling the trigger on Gunnar.  

47 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Is today the day?  We could really use him at 3rd and Urias at 2B. Odor subbing in and starting a couple times a week vs RHP. Vavra is only an emergency 2B for the rest of the season. He just needs a MLB ST there to pick up the defense. 

Gunnar today

Hall 9/1

Nottingham 9/1 (so we can PH for Chirinos)

Wells 9/14 (maybe sooner if only BP)

Grayson 9/28

At 2.5 GB, Elias might wait and see how this road trip goes before pulling the trigger on Gunnar.  

At this point I have no idea. We had a home series with three RHP plus a travel day. Seems like if it was going to be this week Tuesday would have made the most sense. Then again the clock is ticking on Roch's "rumors". He couldn't have been recirculating ordinary Twitter speculation, could he?

They are clearly waiting to call up Henderson so he gets a few starts under his belt for different positions.  

He has been playing second and first, 2 new positions for him(or at least 2 he doesn’t usually play)

I think just trying to get him acclimated to other positions, while also making sure they can stay under 130 at bats is why they have waited.  It could happen today or they could be waiting until the weekend is over.  

Adley debuted on a Saturday, so I guess that’s possible too but that was a home game.

Edited by Sports Guy

48 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They are clearly waiting to call up Henderson so he gets a few starts under his belt for different positions.  

He has been playing second and first, 2 new positions for him(or at least 2 he doesn’t usually play)

I think just trying to get him acclimated to other positions, while also making sure they can stay under 130 at bats is why they have waited.  It could happen today or they could be waiting until the weekend is over.  

Adley debuted on a Saturday, so I guess that’s possible too but that was a home game.

Honestly, I think we’re in a position where we have to win to get Gunnar up here. Even a 3-3 road trip probably costs us ground in the WC. We’re going to have to play out of our minds these next 6 to get Gunnar up here. Maybe if we take the 1st game in Houston tonight. 

What do the analytics say about being 2.5GB with 38 remaining?  Given the schedules. Probably not good and not good enough for Elias to give up a year of control. A 4-2, 5-1 road trip could change that. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Honestly, I think we’re in a position where we have to win to get Gunnar up here. Even a 3-3 road trip probably costs us ground in the WC. We’re going to have to play out of our minds these next 6 to get Gunnar up here. Maybe if we take the 1st game in Houston tonight. 

What do the analytics say about being 2.5GB with 38 remaining?  Given the schedules. Probably not good and not good enough for Elias to give up a year of control. A 4-2, 5-1 road trip could change that. 

It shouldn't make a difference.

Unless the plan is to delay his debut next season the only cost is a 40 man spot.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

It shouldn't make a difference.

Unless the plan is to delay his debut next season the only cost is a 40 man spot.

Let’s just be honest CoC, we’ll find a reason to keep him down a couple of weeks next year. Put the tin foil hat on… maybe that’s why we’re playing him at other positions so next year we can say he still needs a little bit more PT at XYZ positions. 

We’re getting revved thinking he’s playing 2B to move Odor off his starting role, when really we’re setting up an not so blatant excuse for him starting in the minors next year. 

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There's no real reason to wait to call him up in terms of losing service time. Fangraphs has the Orioles projected at 80.6 wins and a 4.5% chance of making the playoffs.

I'd say the timing/PR is pretty good right now to call him up with Stowers hitting that HR last night. But they could wait until after the weekend.

Edited by dzorange