Is the American League East Championship in Play?

accinfo

11 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

No because there are too many games where teams play each other the Yankees Rays and Jays that it near impossible unless we went something like 25-5.  

25 - 5...

So you're saying there's a chance!

Edited by bluedog
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Call me crazy but this Yankees collapse is EPIC.  I can see Tampa sweeping them this weekend and being 2 games back.  I know it is a long shot but this whole season has been a long shot.

Yes I think its in play for the Rays.

The Yanks are now facing intense pressure to not collapse, which is the best way to insure a collapse. Add in the biggest payroll with the most spoiled and entitled fans, highly toxic local media and an expectation for months that the division title was in the bag and you've got the perfect storm for choking.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, bluedog said:

Yes I think its in play for the Rays.

The Yanks are now facing intense pressure to not collapse, which is the best way to insure a collapse. Add in the biggest payroll with the most spoiled and entitled fans, highly toxic local media and an expectation for months that the division title was in the bag and you've got the perfect storm for choking.

It’s really resembling the 2012 Texas Rangers collapse 

I thought Benintendi and the return of Stanton from the IL would solve the Yankees' offensive problems, but they've both been greatly underperforming. So have LeMahieu, Donaldson, Torres, and Hicks. Judge and Trevino have had to carry the team by themselves.

27 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If the Yankees lose the division, it might be the most epic collapse ever.  The biggest other collapse I can think of was the Red Sox in 1978, who had a 14 game lead in July.  Of course then there was no wild card. 

This Yankees team is reminding me of the 1995 Angels team that blew an 11 game AL West lead in August. The Angels ended up losing a one game playoff to the Mariners and missing the playoffs entirely. 

That Angels team finished the season with a 78-67 record after reaching a high-water mark of 64-38 before collapsing. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
  • Upvote 2

At the start of the season I was hoping that we'd play 500 ball and cause some heartache for the contenders.  I was really looking for individual player development.  Now there are visions of sugar plums.  

Bieber is pitching for TB today and he's hittable.  I believe TB's ace went on the DL.  As much as I'd like to see NY run down, I don't think so.  

33 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

I'm old enough to have seen Bobby Thompson's homer, but I didn't.  Dodgers blew a big lead leading to that game.

The Phils lost their last ten games in a row and the pennant to the Cards.  

Yeah the ‘64 Phillies was a historic collapse. 

With all the different wild cards these days it doesn’t mean as much. They’ll still back in the playoffs somehow. But to see them lose the division would still be awesome. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah the ‘64 Phillies was a historic collapse. 

With all the different wild cards these days it doesn’t mean as much. They’ll still back in the playoffs somehow. But to see them lose the division would still be awesome. 

Since it's not the Red Sox who'd overtake them, I would thoroughly relish it. Plus I live in NY and am known at my bars as the stalwart fan of the marvelous Baltimore Orioles of 2022, the allegorical opposite of the Yankees in so many ways--and now of the cash-rich Scherzer and Lindor-endowed Mets as well--and it will be great fun talking trash with the fans melting down. It already has been the last month.

Every baseball fan in NY, even the Rays fan manning the subway station kiosk at Flatbush the other night and the Tigers fan dishwasher in the Crown Heights oyster bar who's headed down to OPACY, knows the O's are "doing well." 

• Like 1

If the O’s don’t make the playoffs, the Yankees blowing the division title would be a nice consolation prize.  However, the fact that they’d be in the playoffs anyway and wouldn’t face a one-game elimination wouid take some of the pleasure away.  For many reasons, I wish we’d played them tougher this year.  5-11 and Judge has 9 homers and a 1.384 OPS against us.  

• Upvote 1