The new dog verses the old dog

RZNJ

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mouncastle is slightly less than a year older than Adley.  He's had Elias as a GM since his age 22 season.

I think it's a convenient excuse to wave your hands in the air and declare him an "old dog". 

Meh, the Orioles drafted Adley based in part on his strike zone judgment.  It also has been a major factor in their other draft decisions.  There is no evidence Mountcastle ever had good strike zone judgment and there isn't a lot of evidence that it is the type of thing that can be learned starting at age 21 which is how old he was when Elias took over.  

Has there really been any improvement in the hitting of the "old dogs"?  Even after the offensive explosion last night, the team OBP is .305.  OBP leaders are   OBP leaders are Adley (.361), Vavra (.354) and Gunnar (.354).  Small samples w/ Vavra and Gunnar obviously.  Old dogs are Santander (.322), Mullins (.321), Hays (.310), and Mountcastle (.306).  Mateo brings up the rear at a pathetic .267.  Is anyone's glove good enough to make up for that? 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mouncastle is slightly less than a year older than Adley.  He's had Elias as a GM since his age 22 season.

I think it's a convenient excuse to wave your hands in the air and declare him an "old dog". 

To me an old dog is someone not drafted by Elias.   They certainly have a “type”, it seems.   They take a hitter with certain tendencies and capabilities to begin with.   We keep hearing “chase percentages” associated with their high draft picks.  

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Huh, I figured most folks looked at his 2021 spray chart after they announced the change to the wall. 

But yea, he isn't a big pull hitter.

I’d still say he’s a hitter who tries to pull too much.  Look at those spray charts and look at the amount of ground ball outs to the left side.   Almost everything  to RF is in the air.   

32 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I’d still say he’s a hitter who tries to pull too much.  Look at those spray charts and look at the amount of ground ball outs to the left side.   Almost everything  to RF is in the air.   

I don’t really have a problem with Mountcastle’s swing.  He just swings at too many pitches that are not strikes, or close.  

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Huh, I figured most folks looked at his 2021 spray chart after they announced the change to the wall. 

But yea, he isn't a big pull hitter.

His big problem when he struggles is that his swing gets long and he doesn’t work the count. He has sick numbers when the count is in his favor.