If you could get Jacob deGrom for 2/$90M; would you do it?

Jim'sKid26

Do the Orioles have a legit/decent probability shot at the World Series the next two years? Not really. This is the kind of signing you make when you already have a playoff caliber team. I’m hoping this is the kind of risk the Orioles can take in two years. They should sign a lower risk pitcher or two this offseason.   

4 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Do the Orioles have a legit/decent probability shot at the World Series the next two years? Not really. This is the kind of signing you make when you already have a playoff caliber team. I’m hoping this is the kind of risk the Orioles can take in two years. They should sign a lower risk pitcher or two this offseason.   

Hopefully when the O's have a new deep pockets owner.

Yes.  It’s a big gamble but one they can afford to take and doesn’t hamstring them long term.   He is the best pitcher in baseball when healthy.   He ended the year healthy.  He’s shown he can go over 200 innings before and is still relatively young.  It’s doubtful you get two full healthy seasons from him but it’s possible and his impact would be the highest of any starter available.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Elias better be damn sure deGrom is healthy if you sign him to a contract because he's pitched 156 innings the last two seasons and he's going to be 35 years old in 2023.

I understand older pitchers can still be effective, but I'm thinking it's a pass. There's better risks who can stay healthy even if they lack deGrom's upside as a starting pitcher.  

deGrom could be healthy as an ox right now and there would still be a risk he’d get injured next year.  It’s the nature of pitching.  He probably has more risk than average, but they’re all risky.

11 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

They can absolutely win a title as soon as next year.  Things need to break a certain way but they can absolutely do it.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

They can absolutely win a title as soon as next year.  Things need to break a certain way but they can absolutely do it.

Agreed.   It would be foolish to write off the next two years as ones where the O’s couldn’t win a WS.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Agreed.   It would be foolish to write off the next two years as ones where the O’s couldn’t win a WS.   

Ownership is the biggest hindrance in this possibility.  Will they spend? That’s the real question.

But if you believe in what Elias and his team are doing and you believe that he can recognize talent and develop it well, you have to believe they can win now.  

58 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Of course they CAN, but the team hasn’t made the playoffs yet and there could be substantial growing pains with young players next year. I want the Orioles to sign two very good pitchers, but I think a signing someone like DeGrom to an expensive two year contract doesn’t make much sense given where the team is. 

45 minutes ago, seak05 said:

In a heartbeat, and right now the Orioles have payroll flexibility. I'd also be fine with signing Rodon, but that one has more financial risk long term. I would like to see them sign one of Rodon, Degrom or Senga this offseason

Senga  doesn’t seem like he belongs in the same sentence as Degrom or Rodon.

Edited by RZNJ