If we added 2 monster talents, could we compete for a WS?

DocJJ

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I am confused by the 8 wins. In addition to last year's team? Or in addition to *this* year's team, which likely includes Grayson, Gunnar, and an extra month of Adley, while subtracting Odor and Chirinos? I think this year's team plus Judge and Verlander (or my preference, Ohatni and Verlander) would be pretty competitive with the elite teams. 

I'm saying based on the steamer projections for 2023 release yesterday, the O's are projected to be about 80 runs worse than the best teams in the league.

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Oh, yeah, they are projecting Adley to improve, and Gunnar to be worth over 4 wins.  Rodriguez pushing 2 wins.  So, again it's their projections, but they see as an above average team already, fueled by internal improvements.  

Well, they are not really projecting Adley to improve, they’re projecting him to play a full season.  Same with Gunnar, really.  I actually feel pretty confident that Adley will outperform his projection if he’s healthy.  Gunnar could too, but I’m less sure of that because his sample size is smaller.  

Overall these projections suggest we need a lot more help on the pitching side than on the offense.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, they are not really projecting Adley to improve, they’re projecting him to play a full season.  Same with Gunnar, really.  I actually feel pretty confident that Adley will outperform his projection if he’s healthy.  Gunnar could too, but I’m less sure of that because his sample size is smaller.  

Overall these projections suggest we need a lot more help on the pitching side than on the offense.   

Well, that's kind of a potato-potato issue.  Either way, they're predicting increased ML production from those two, and several others for that matter.  Hays and Mountcastle among them.

But yes, I think projections or just common sense, should lead one to think we should be focusing on improving the pitching as a priority.

18 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Does Ohtani count as one player or two? I think we would be close with Ohtani alone. Ohtani Verlander we would be one of the favorites for sure.

Ohtani is a tough one on a team with Adley, unless Adley starts playing 1B on his catching days off. Or Ohtani starts playing OF on those days.