2022 #7 prospect Joey Ortiz - SS

Tony-OH

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Ortiz vs Westburg was close for me which is a credit to him for closing that gap on Westburg. Westburg remind me more of a Ben Zobrist defensively in that he has the ability to play a lot of positions but may not be great any one particular one. 

Ortiz on the other hand is going to be a plus defender at SS and a plus-plus defender at second base. The only question is how much of that power, which is mostly pull, will be affected by Camden Yards? 

They were so close, but I decided that Westburg's power and overall hit tool has slightly more value, and I think he has the better chance to be an impact hitter at the major league level.

FWIW, Fangraphs has Westburg's pull % at 50.4 and his Opposite field % at 28.1

Ortiz' pull % was 40.9 and Oppo was 38.6.

I've seen both players go to RF (Westburg  more to RCF and Ortiz using more of the whole RF) but I'd say Ortiz, especially when I watched him the last 2 months of the season, went to RF quite a bit.  I'm not sure where to find the data but I'd guess he hit a decent amount (what is a decent amount?  5?) of homers to RF.   Now, hitting homers to RF in Bowie might be easier than clearing the scoreboard at OPACY.    I think Ortiz is more likely to hit balls off of the RF scoreboard and maybe a few over whereas Westburg is more likely to reach the seats in straight away LF.     I'm at a loss to forecast who will be the better hitter.

Just to add on more thing.  Connor Norby's pull percentage was 38% and his oppo was 44%!

Edited by RZNJ

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I've seen both players go to RF (Westburg  more to RCF and Ortiz using more of the whole RF) but I'd say Ortiz, especially when I watched him the last 2 months of the season, went to RF quite a bit.  I'm not sure where to find the data but I'd guess he hit a decent amount (what is a decent amount?  5?) of homers to RF.   Now, hitting homers to RF in Bowie might be easier than clearing the scoreboard at OPACY.    I think Ortiz is more likely to hit balls off of the RF scoreboard and maybe a few over whereas Westburg is more likely to reach the seats in straight away LF.     I'm at a loss to forecast who will be the better hitter.

Just to add on more thing.  Connor Norby's pull percentage was 38% and his oppo was 44%!

Never said Ortiz pulls more than Westburg, I told you his power is mostly pull power which is what I was told and based on my own observations. Ortiz does a good job of going to all fields and can drive the ball to right center, but he's not a big home run guy that way.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Never said Ortiz pulls more than Westburg, I told you his power is mostly pull power which is what I was told and based on my own observations. Ortiz does a good job of going to all fields and can drive the ball to right center, but he's not a big home run guy that way.

Does the labrum surgery ping him at all in your eyes?  Does that play into his long term forecasting.  It’s a pitchers worst nightmare.  I was looking for info on position players recovering from labrum’s and it doesn’t seem to be as well documented.  But then you think about Cody Bellinger and wonder.  

21 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Does the labrum surgery ping him at all in your eyes?  Does that play into his long term forecasting.  It’s a pitchers worst nightmare.  I was looking for info on position players recovering from labrum’s and it doesn’t seem to be as well documented.  But then you think about Cody Bellinger and wonder.  

No because it was his left shoulder, not his right.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MarCakes21 said:

Say there was no Mateo or Ortiz, who plays SS at the ML level because of the glove?  Westburg or Gunnar?  Just wondering if there's a hit first infield option that the team has.

At this stage, Gunnar. In a few years if gunnar fills out and loses some range, the answer is neither 

16 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I went to this game this summer where Ortiz had a homer to RCF, a double down the LF line, and a grand slam that sliced around the RF foul pole.   He certainly hit for all-fields power in that game!  Probably his best game of the year offensively, 4 for 5 with a double, two homers and 5 RBI.

• Thanks 1