Orioles 2022 #16 Prospect Seth Johnson - RHP

Tony-OH

• 7 months later...

I’m excited to see that Johnson’s recovery from TJ has reached the point that he will begin facing hitters in games. I know that I’m a little more bullish on him than some but IMO, before the injury he was projecting as 3+ starter with as much potential as anyone in the Rays’ system. If he’s pitching healthy for the remainder of the year it will be a great development for the O’s. I think that he is a legitimate future rotation piece. 

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/updating-some-injured-and-rehabbing-orioles-pitchers

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I’m excited to see that Johnson’s recovery from TJ has reached the point that he will begin facing hitters in games. I know that I’m a little more bullish on him than some but IMO, before the injury he was projecting as 3+ starter with as much potential as anyone in the Rays’ system. If he’s pitching healthy for the remainder of the year it will be a great development for the O’s. I think that he is a legitimate future rotation piece. 

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/updating-some-injured-and-rehabbing-orioles-pitchers

Get him to Delmarva and then hopefully he can pitch in the AFL….start next year in Aberdeen and if healthy and as good as we hope, could easily be in Norfolk by years end.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Get him to Delmarva and then hopefully he can pitch in the AFL….start next year in Aberdeen and if healthy and as good as we hope, could easily be in Norfolk by years end.

Yup. I won’t be shocked if we even see him hit Aberdeen by EOY. 

After being really good in the Carolina league in ‘21, he was off to a great start last year in the Sallly and was in line for a promotion prior to the injury. He’s an older prospect like a lot of the ‘19 draftees, due to the Covid year. I firmly believe that had they not lost the minor league season (and of course the TJ) he’d have been a fixture in the Rays’ rotation by now.

I see a John Means type of trajectory. He may be a late bloom due to age but I’ll take his 25 - 31 years at the discount similarly to Meansy. He’s going to be really good for the O’s. I think he could jump to as high as their 6th best prospect by end of year. Health is the key.  

Edited by banks703

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

As a starter or reliever?

He pitched in 27 innings last year. The year before it was 93 innings. His total for the 3 years in the minors is 137 innings. With the way the O's are being careful with the ML pitchers this year as far as innings pitched, you would think they would be extra careful with a pitcher who is coming back from TJ. If they limit his pitches at Aberdeen and Bowie, I don't see any reason to promote him all the way to Norfolk. 

18 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Yup. I won’t be shocked if we even see him hit Frederick by EOY. 

After being really good in the Carolina league in ‘21, he was off to a great start last year in the Sallly and was in line for a promotion prior to the injury. He’s an older prospect like a lot of the ‘19 draftees, due to the Covid year. I firmly believe that had they not lost the minor league season (and of course the TJ) he’d have been a fixture in the Rays’ rotation by now.

I see a John Means type of trajectory. He may be a late bloom due to age but I’ll take his 25 - 31 years at the discount similarly to Meansy. He’s going to be really good for the O’s. I think he could jump to as high as their 6th best prospect by end of year. Health is the key.  

It would be completely shocking to see him in Frederick this year.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, panick said:

As a starter or reliever?

He pitched in 27 innings last year. The year before it was 93 innings. His total for the 3 years in the minors is 137 innings. With the way the O's are being careful with the ML pitchers this year as far as innings pitched, you would think they would be extra careful with a pitcher who is coming back from TJ. If they limit his pitches at Aberdeen and Bowie, I don't see any reason to promote him all the way to Norfolk. 

He’s a starter. If they pitch him in the AFL, he should be able to get to 100ish Ip next year.

Yup. Brain fart. I meant Aberdeen. I was ‘talking’ my senior parents through troubleshooting the pool pump on FaceTime. Every cliche that you can imagine about older folks who do not technology, that’s my parents. At least five times my father, while on FaceTime with me, put the phone to his ear to talk instead of holding the phone toward the pump so that I could see what they were doing. Needless to say my brain hurts.

SJ is a starter though I could see that 98mph fastball play up out of the pen. I’ll be disappointed if he’s only an elite reliever. 

Edited by banks703
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paul in Virginia said:

Hitting 98 the first time out after TJ.. yikes. I can’t tell for sure if that bottom right video is when he touched 98 but that’s 95+ at least.

For all of the pundits who look at their farm and don’t see starting pitching, a healthy SJ drastically changes that view.  He, Povich and McDermott are probably top 4-8 prospects on clubs in the lower half of the farm rankings and for teams like the Angels, Braves, White Sox and Stros, an case could be made that each of those guys could be their top 1-3 prospect.

Really excited for SJ.