Orioles potential SP target: Chris Bassitt profile

Tony-OH

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Is Bassitt worth 4/75?

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Probably not

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sort of depends on what pitchers are going to cost from here on out.  Everything’s relative.   

With the way free agent starting pitching costs, I could see 4/$75 being reasonable for Bassitt. With as many looks as he gives hitters, i think he has a great chance to keep it up into late 30's.

Is there risk, sure, but for me, Bassitt is the guy I like the best for the cost. 

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

With the way free agent starting pitching costs, I could see 4/$75 being reasonable for Bassitt. With as many looks as he gives hitters, i think he has a great chance to keep it up into late 30's.

Is there risk, sure, but for me, Bassitt is the guy I like the best for the cost. 

I'd rather do 4/$75 for Bassit than 4/$60 for Ubaldo in 2014 dollars. That being said, the Ubaldo deal did not work out for us.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I'd rather do 4/$75 for Bassit than 4/$60 for Ubaldo in 2014 dollars. That being said, the Ubaldo deal did not work out for us.

Ubaldo just had too many statistical red flags and was just a bad signing from the beginning. It was probably one of Duquette's worse moves as GM.

Bassitt is the opposite. Everything points to him being good over the next few years if he stays healthy.

I think Eflin's youth and effectiveness in October relief gave him a higher profile with Clubs than the general public.    I agree Bassitt's probably trying for four or more, but know ESPN Kiley McDaniel's guesses were three years for both of them.

The Bassitt camp might want to gain a view of the deGrom outcome as not hard to imagine NYM adjusting their offer depending.

I would be happy if the Orioles signed Bassitt at 4/$75M. Of course, I do think that would be an overpay, but I think it would be a worthwhile overpay. I agree with folks that are concerned we would be paying for his age 34-37 seasons. That's worrisome, but I do have confidence he'll at least live up to the contract in years 1 and 2. It's years 3-4 that he probably won't. I would much prefer a 2 or even 3 year deal, but I would be onboard with a 4-year contract for Bassitt. 

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s the 4th year for Bassitt. I tend to agree that his chances of being effective as he gets older are pretty decent but I don’t love him for 4 years.

I don’t either, but I’m getting a bit sick of waiting around for a good pitcher on a favorable contract to somehow fall into our laps.   I’m more focused on the “good pitcher” part now.   If Bassitt’s unproductive in 2026, we’ll have to figure it out then.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t either, but I’m getting a bit sick of waiting around for a good pitcher on a favorable contract to somehow fall into our laps.   I’m more focused on the “good pitcher” part now.   If Bassitt’s unproductive in 2026, we’ll have to figure it out then.  

I remember when Peter Angelos basically didn't want to sign a free agent pitcher. Then the fun physical. Who was the pitcher awhile back who they withdrew the offer after the physical? Maybe was too. Aaron Sele?

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I remember when Peter Angelos basically didn't want to sign a free agent pitcher. Then the fun physical. Who was the pitcher awhile back who they withdrew the offer after the physical? Maybe was too. Aaron Sele?

Grant Balfour got his offer reduced.  I think we had at least one other incident.

5 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Sele was one.  Grant Balfour was another.   We renegotiated Gallardo’s deal after his physical.  Did that with one of the Korean pitchers we signed too.  I may be forgetting one other.  

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And that’s why I would probably give him the 4th year.  I just won’t like it.

Of course, if he flops, it shouldn’t matter but it will to this ownership.  That’s my concern.