2022-23 free agent signings tracker

Frobby

7 hours ago, Spakman said:

Bogaerts to Padres. $280M 11 years. That is just an insane contract. What is going on? 

They signed Manny back when he wanted to play SS for $300 mm.   Then Manny got a look at Tatis and agreed to play 3B.   Then they agreed to pay Tatis $340 mm to be their SS.   He’s had to move off the spot due to injury issues.  So now Bogaerts is playing SS for $280 mm.   It’s a bargain!  Except that most people think Bogaerts won’t be a SS for too many more years.  So, that’s $920 mm to three players and nobody’s sticking at SS.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Padres went from 100 million in 2019 to 250 million this season.  Now that is what you call liftoff.  They also still have Soto who has just one more year left after this that will cost them money to retain him.

I can’t figure out the Padres’ economics. Not sure where you’re getting $250 mm for next year though.  

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

I will put this here. I know some discussions about income tax in certain states 

Astros players will pay Philadelphia wage tax for World Series games at Citizens Bank Park
https://www.inquirer.com/news/philadelphia/phillies-astros-world-series-philadelphia-wage-tax-20221104.html

Its probably been 10 years, but I remember at one point a paystub picture for a high salaried big leaguer got out into the interwebs.     My memory is it had state taxes for anywhere worked in for the April 1-15, April 16-30 pay period, etc.    I'm sure payroll people have it down to a science, but players I believe don't have the same take home showing up every 2 weeks like many of us do.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Its probably been 10 years, but I remember at one point a paystub picture for a high salaried big leaguer got out into the interwebs.     My memory is it had state taxes for anywhere worked in for the April 1-15, April 16-30 pay period, etc.    I'm sure payroll people have it down to a science, but players I believe don't have the same take home showing up every 2 weeks like many of us do.

That was Andrew McCutchen's:

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/5/22/8647279/andrew-mccutchen-pay-stub-picture-taxes-deductions-money

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nimmo back to NYM for only ~$20mm AAV because he got an infinite number of years, and I guess Steve Cohen feels like if everyone is playing the tax game they should too.

CF options for any given club probably runs like Nimmo, Reynolds, Mullins though the Pirate maybe a little bit more available.

Cherry picking loosely with Fangraphs Ben Clemens ranks, I believe that makes half his Top 30 signed.   15 available for $$$ and about 15 days to Christmas holidays.

Edited by Just Regular

8 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Mets sign Nimmo 8 years 162 million.   How they can’t figure out a salary cap to make it semi fair is beyond me.   The Mets payroll is over 300 million now.  Just insane.

One outlier owner buying his way into a wild card appearance isn't an emergency.  He might end up paying more in salary cap penalties than the O's spend on payroll.  Which is the bigger problem?

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

One outlier owner buying his way into a wild card appearance isn't an emergency.  He might end up paying more in salary cap penalties than the O's spend on payroll.  Which is the bigger problem?

It's not one outlier but I agree a floor and cap would be the ideal solution.

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

I can’t figure out the Padres’ economics. Not sure where you’re getting $250 mm for next year though.  

I thought the Padre's inked 1.2 Billion for their Cable TV deal, Granted that is spread out over the course of the contract, but still has to factor in, not to mention the Disney money this season, that everybody got.