The warning signs are there for the reading

Tony-OH

37 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Even after all these years of being a fan of an Angelos-family owned team, not one of us wants to think that the Orioles are not going to spend. 

I do.

I want to see them redefine baseball  by building and sustaining a farm, and trading strategically toward the end of team control for more resources to put back on the assembly line, creating a perpetually creative team.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, owknows said:

I do.

I want to see them redefine baseball  by building and sustaining a farm, and trading strategically toward the end of team control for more resources to put back on the assembly line, creating a perpetually creative team.

Which is still going to necessitate signing guys to long term deals.

You aren't going to be able to perpetually flip Arb 2 and 3 players for big returns.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Which is still going to necessitate signing guys to long term deals.

You aren't going to be able to perpetually flip Arb 2 and 3 players for big returns.

I'm pretty sure flipping guys at the end of team control is what I just explicitly advocated.

Just now, owknows said:

I'm pretty sure flipping guys at the end of team control is what I just explicitly advocated.

So you want the O's to build a system in which they can replenish the roster by flipping arb 2 and 3 players and picking at the end of the first round.

To quote the Rubberbandits, Good luck with that mate.

To have any chance of a strategy like that working you need to be able to get some guys signed to team friendly deals buying out some free agent years to increase their trade value.

So you want the O's to build a system in which they can replenish the roster by flipping arb 2 and 3 players and picking at the end of the first round.

To quote the Rubberbandits, Good luck with that mate.

To have any chance of a strategy like that working you need to be able to get some guys signed to team friendly deals buying out some free agent years to increase their trade value.

Try to extend the most promising emerging players on team friendly terms

Flip those you can't in ARB2/3

Perpetually restock the farm with the flip proceeds.

Graduate the talented players from the mature side of the conveyor belt... drop the freshly colected ones on the beginning of the belt.

Draft well...  Trade well.. work Latin America... Coach Well..  Develop Well...

Stop overpaying for the declining years of other teams' players.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, owknows said:

Try to extend the most promising emerging players on team friendly terms

Flip those you can't in ARB2/3

Perpetually restock the farm with the flip proceeds.

Graduate the talented players from the mature side of the conveyor belt... drop the freshly colected ones on the beginning of the belt.

Draft well...  Trade well.. work Latin America... Coach Well..  Develop Well...

Stop overpaying for the declining years of other teams' players.

So do the same things the Rays have been doing for over a decade, but better, while not spending as much as the Rays?

As Sportsguy would say, it's easy.

Makes a person wonder why all teams don't just do that.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Haha 1

So do the same things the Rays have been doing for over a decade, but better, while not spending as much as the Rays?

As Sportsguy would say, it's easy.

Makes a person wonder why all teams don't just do that.

Nobody said it was easy.

But I believe it's possible, and the Elias seems to have a knack for the most important aspects of it.

Good drafting decisions and improvements in player development have created a rolling 5 year conveyor belt that looks pretty stacked from top to bottom... Careful stewardship and strategic harvesting could keep that rolling for a decade or more.

You argument seems to be that nobody's doing it, so it's impossible.

I make my living ignoring those kinds of sentiments.