The warning signs are there for the reading

Tony-OH

1 minute ago, HakunaSakata said:

You do realize there's a middle ground right? No one's asking the Orioles to go toe to toe with the big market teams in terms of spending. Bassitt would have been a reasonable alternative to the bigger names that have signed and more importantly he wouldn't have blocked anyone of significance on a three year deal. Even the Rays made a big FA signing this off season because they realize that fielding a competitive roster with 100% internal players and players acquired via trade isn't viable approach to successful major league baseball. 

I realize that there's a middle ground.

I realize that what I'm proposing has never really been done before.

I realize that the Rays are not as big-contract averse as I am suggesting.

And that the Orioles probably aren't either.

And yet I'm suggesting it.

4 minutes ago, deward said:

Starting pitching is a need, not the only need. Why not use the current payroll flexibility to sign a Bassitt or even a Verlander on a short deal and then use your prospect capital to address other needs? 

They absolutely should have pursued Verlander, especially given their hesitancy to sign player to longer term deals this season, which we learned after the fact. Imagine the jolt in the arm Verlander would have given this team and community and giving him a two year deal would have done nothing to hurt the rebuild. 

I also think it's  absolutely hysterical that another poster used the excuse that "he's past his prime" to dismiss the idea when he literally just won a Cy Young award. 

13 minutes ago, owknows said:

So you consider Elias dishonest, and I don't. I understand.

Dishonest is your word. I ultimately lay this at the feet of the Angelos family. I'm sure if Elias had a $150mm budget he would spend it. That said, I think he has taken a misstep or two so far this off-season, and I think after 4 years on the job it's fair to hold his feet to the fire a little as well.

1 minute ago, owknows said:

I realize that there's a middle ground.

I realize that what I'm proposing has never really been done before.

I realize that the Rays are not as big-contract averse as I am suggesting.

And that the Orioles probably aren't either.

And yet I'm suggesting it.

Do you realize how razor thin your margin for error would be?

This in a sport where a guy can go 1-1 out of college and never make the majors.

It's just not tenable, you just aren't going to hit on every draft pick, every big international signing and every trade.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Chris Davis signing didn't cause the collapse.

It didn't extend the collapse.

Everyone aside from Peter Angelos knew the lesson already.

I didn't say it caused the collapse.

I didn't say it extended the collapse.

I did though, suggest it was a horrible thing for the organization.

And that coupled with Trumbo, and Ubaldo, and Cashner, and Cobb... uhh... maybe it hurt... a lot.

Just now, owknows said:

And that coupled with Trumbo, and Ubaldo, and Cashner, and Cobb... uhh... maybe it hurt... a lot.

It wasn't a horrible thing for the organization.

It sucked for the owners that had to pay him and was annoying for the fans that had to watch him play because ownership wouldn't pull the plug on him.

It didn't do any lasting harm.

If you take an otherwise healthy organization and add a Chris Davis they are still fine.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you realize how razor thin your margin for error would be?

This in a sport where a guy can go 1-1 out of college and never make the majors.

It's just not tenable, you just aren't going to hit on every draft pick, every big international signing and every trade.

You seem to be making an awful lot of absolute pronouncements about the dire consequences of not signing big Free Agents,  about a team that played winning baseball without signing any big free agents, and hasn't even graduated the first bolus of draft talent into the majors yet.

I dunno man... seems like you're maybe overthinking it a little.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, owknows said:

I do.

I want to see them redefine baseball  by building and sustaining a farm, and trading strategically toward the end of team control for more resources to put back on the assembly line, creating a perpetually creative team.

You are most certainly like all people entitled to your opinion. I’m curious do you live in the market? And if so, how do you think operating like this will impact the teams relationship with it’s fans in the community? Do you you have have any fear that a perpetual rebuilding approach or at least an approach similar to the Rays where you never “go for it” no matter how close, will have a similar effect of our fans as it has had on Rays and A’s fans? Like how long do you think aiming for “2nd place” will work?

9 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I don’t understand why adding SP by trade would be preferable. We have the salary room, especially for short term deals. Why give up assets when we don’t have to?

There's no world in which it would or should be given the team's financial flexibility. The only exception would be a prospect for prospect swap and those rarely happen and honestly that's not what we need right now. 

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

You are most certainly like all people entitled to your opinion. I’m curious do you live in the market? And if so, how do you think operating like this will impact the teams relationship with it’s fans in the community? Do you you have have any fear that a perpetual rebuilding approach or at least an approach similar to the Rays where you never “go for it” no matter how close, will have a similar effect of our fans as it has had on Rays and A’s fans? Like how long do you think aiming for “2nd place” will work?

I missed it.  The Ray's fans aren't coming to games because the Rays win but don't have any "fan favorites"?  Is that what you're selling?

12 minutes ago, owknows said:

I'm assuming you're a parody/trolling.  Please tell me that is what you are doing here.  

Either that, or you were sent here by the Angeloses.