Do we need a closer?

Frobby

No, I don’t mean the pitching kind.  I’m perfectly satisfied with Felix Bautista in that role for the foreseeable future.  

I mean the GM kind.  I’m satisfied that the O’s made bona fide multi-year offers to various FA pitchers, but it seems we can’t close a deal.  I see many posters blaming it on the owners, but it’s also possible that Elias just hadn’t figured out when to pull the trigger on a deal.  

Or, maybe he has correctly concluded that the right deal hasn’t come along yet.  

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No, I don’t mean the pitching kind.  I’m perfectly satisfied with Felix Bautista in that role for the foreseeable future.  

I mean the GM kind.  I’m satisfied that the O’s made bona fide multi-year offers to various FA pitchers, but it seems we can’t close a deal.  I see many posters blaming it on the owners, but it’s also possible that Elias just hadn’t figured out when to pull the trigger on a deal.  

Perhaps we should just let Felix Bautista handle contract negotiations. Two birds, one stone. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, we heard at the deadline that they tried and failed. We haven’t seen them do much of anything this offseason.

I think what’s more likely is that Elias isn’t willing to push his chips in and go for it because he doesn’t think this organization is in a place to do it.

This is very possible... but I think at the end of the day, like many that preceded him, Elias is likely handcuffed by ownership. The inflated market certainly doesn't help, but give me a break. You're going into the season with a breath of hope for the first time in 6 or 7 years. If you can strengthen your position, do it. 

They could still do that, but I have to admit it's discouraging to watch all of these names vanish off the board while we celebrate Kyle Gibson.

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

This is very possible... but I think at the end of the day, like many that preceded him, Elias is likely handcuffed by ownership. The inflated market certainly doesn't help, but give me a break. You're going into the season with a breath of hope for the first time in 6 or 7 years. If you can strengthen your position, do it. 

They could still do that, but I have to admit it's discouraging to watch all of these names vanish off the board while we celebrate Kyle Gibson.

I think he has some ownership constraints but I also think a lot of this is what Elias wants.

• Upvote 1

As with Chris Davis, I imagine Boras' position is Carlos Correa merits ownership-level consideration.

Elias is probably more plugged in to the panorama than Duquette was though.

If we go to Sarasota with another 10 each on say Michael Wacha and Brandon Belt, I'd say 30 in new spending for the 2023 roster about met my mid-case expectation.    I agree broadly with Szymborski's chat comment spending $$$ better than prospects for another half-season's view how strong is the foundation.

Gibson as a complement to a shock acquisition of Rodon or Correa would be more than I would have guessed the Club could otherwise do if it managed to put a bunch of eggs in one basket.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You think that if ownership gave Elias a budget of 140M this year, ramping up 10M a year for the next four years he'd still be making these decisions?

I don’t see Elias making trades or signings that, on paper, look dumb just to be better for the next 2-3 years.

So, let’s go with your scenario. I don’t see how they could get the salary that high right now but let’s say ownership said, we authorize you to do what it takes to get Correa and Rodón. I don’t think he would do it.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t see Elias making trades or signings that, on paper, look dumb just to be better for the next 2-3 years.

So, let’s go with your scenario. I don’t see how they could get the salary that high right now but let’s say ownership said, we authorize you to do what it takes to get Correa and Rodón. I don’t think he would do it.

Seriously?

The scenario would have included him being given those payroll numbers before the 13th of December.

Even you are better than that.

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not sure, Im in agreement with bona fide deals on the table.

Is he kicking the tires, so he can report back that he tried?

There is money to be spent, and they are not spending it.