Left-hander starter potential options through trades

Tony-OH

5 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Wow! @PHRESH great find. 

So Fried would be a pitcher with 2 years of control as he is a FA after 2024 He's projected to make ~$12M for 2023 in ARB2. 

The braves will want a load of prospects for him. I am terrible at guessing what constitutes a reasonable offer for Max Fried but it has to start with DL Hall I would think.

Here's what I consider a reasonable basis for a trade.   Hall, Cowser, and Ortiz (especially if the Braves don't resign Swanson).

19 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

You have to look at a team's depth chart too. The Angel's aren't in a position to trade a SP. I like Sandoval, but he definitely regressed a bit this past season. He really had a hard time going deep into games. 

Here is an interesting take on his pitch mix. https://blogs.fangraphs.com/patrick-sandoval-has-a-fastball-problem/

Seems like the kind of arm that the pitching analytics guys for the O's could really help. 

The Angels need just about everything if they are going to get Trout and Otani into the playoffs. I would think a package that starts with Santander and includes Ortiz and maybe DL Hall might be able to at least start the conversation.

35 minutes ago, nvpacchi said:

Drew Smyly is an FA after declining his 10M option. he probably wants multiple years, but he's demonstrated health the last two years, and strikes out more batters than anyonr the Os will throw out besides Bradish

I've always been a fan of Smyly

12 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Here is an interesting take on his pitch mix. https://blogs.fangraphs.com/patrick-sandoval-has-a-fastball-problem/

Seems like the kind of arm that the pitching analytics guys for the O's could really help. 

The Angels need just about everything if they are going to get Trout and Otani into the playoffs. I would think a package that starts with Santander and includes Ortiz and maybe DL Hall might be able to at least start the conversation.

Oh, I like Sandoval I just don't think there's any scenario where the Angel's think trading him for a bat would make them better. Right now he's there no. 2 starter and they don't have much high level pitching depth in their minor league system. I would also be very interested in Reid Detmers if they were willing to trade a pitcher. He started strong (no hitter), then struggled quite a bit (got sent down), then adjusted and was lights out in July and August. And I'm writing off his poor September due to fatigue, the team being out of contention, etc.

If anything I'd look for the Angels to add pitching to their core of Ohtani, Sandoval, and Detmers, not subtract from it. There OF is average to good and possibly even great if Ward can build upon his start to last season (he was derailed by injuries) and Adell can realize even 3/4 of his potential. 

10 hours ago, bpilktree said:

David Peterson for the Mets makes some sense.  The Mets have 7 starters currently that could be part of their rotation.  They could use another outfielder imo and maybe a guy like Santander would make sense for a swap for them.  

Loved what I saw from Peterson (in small samples) last season, especially the K per 9 numbers. I doubt he's a available though. The reason the Mets have floated Carrasco's name out there is because he and Quintana are basically the Spider-man meme so I think he's going to be the odd man out if they make a trade. 

12 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

A lot of this highlights why it might be best to give Hall another full year shot at starting. 

Yep, because they're going to have to give quality to get quality (via trade). Watching a young SP who isn't really ready learn on the fly while your team is trying to contend might be a bit rough on the players / managers though. It's not like Hyde has much more hair to lose though...