Is it possible that we (the Hangout fans) are just not patient enough??

Sanity Check

5 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

I'm not even an Oriole fan, but it's laughable to say be patient as you're wasting Service time on guys like Adley. So when is it time to be aggressive? When guys are down to a few years of control left and getting tremendously expensive?

Ideally we will have flipped them by that point for more prospects.  Have to keep the farm system fully stocked.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The acquisition and playing of Aguilar over Kyle Stowers was also inconsistent messaging since everything has been about the longterm plan. 

Stowers hit lefties great in the minors but was then benched for a washed up Aguilar, even after it was clear the Orioles were not going to win a wildcard spot. Why? 

The Orioles also continued to play Odor over Vavra most of September? How did that help the long term plan? At least see how Vavra looks playing 2B everyday. If it's bad, then you know he's not the answer, but why give playing time to a guy who wasn't even the right answer in 2022?

So while I like what Elias has done overall, especially with scouting, drafting and development, last year was the first time he showed inconsistent messaging during a season with how young players were used when brought up.

It's going to be interesting going forward how they use Stowers, Westburg, Ortiz and Cowser in 2023.

It’s still really strange how they did that with Odor and Aguilar. At least with Odor he was on the team and was starting all year. You trade away your closer and face of the franchise for prospects but then you refuse to play prospects. Then this off-season you don’t want to sign anyone for multiple years because you don’t want to block prospects down the line? It didn’t make any sense at the time and it makes even less sense with Elias’ recent comments about the 2024 and beyond teams.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Explosivo said:

Yes absolutely. Be patient guys. This will be a fun year of development. We will get younger. We will see what our youth can do, some for a full season. This is the year where we learn a lot and likely the projections will hold and we will find ourselves playing in the postseason. Can’t wait to see what these baby birds can do. Lyles would be fun. Wacha would be a fun get. Eovaldi would be interesting but the QO has me thinking Elias won’t go for it unless heavily discounted.

Mike, Sig… is that… you? 

16 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

I'm not even an Oriole fan, but it's laughable to say be patient as you're wasting Service time on guys like Adley. So when is it time to be aggressive? When guys are down to a few years of control left and getting tremendously expensive?

Not sure why Elias taking a similar approach to what worked so successfully with his previous org is laughable.  The Astros didn't say OMG, we cannot waste Carolos Correa and Jose Altuve's service time and so we have to be super agressive when they came off their suprise 2015 season.  Seemed to work out OK, no?    

5 minutes ago, geschinger said:

Not sure why Elias taking a similar approach to what worked so successfully with his previous org is laughable.  The Astros didn't say OMG, we cannot waste Carolos Correa and Jose Altuve's service time and so we have to be super agressive when they came off their suprise 2015 season.  Seemed to work out OK, no?    

They extended Altuve.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I'm fine with not signing Correa, as long as the team is willing to trade Mateo and/or Urias to make room for Westburg and Ortiz.  

However, I'm concerned that the Gibson signing has painted Elias into a corner.  Supposedly one of the things that convinced Gibson to sign here was our strong infield defense.  Does that mean that Elias will feel obligated to stick with Urias and Mateo, even though we have prospects with more upside who are major league ready?  

I wouldn't be making or not making any moves based upon whether it will upset a 35 year old back of the rotation starter on a 1 year deal.

• Upvote 1