Suggested Deal w/Marlins

Answerman

2 hours ago, MarCakes21 said:

Why not both?  Could you get ECab and Luzardo for Cowser/Mayo/Westburg?  And do you do it?

No to trading away any of those three. We need to try and strike a deal using Mateo, Urias, or Mountcastle. If not, explore Lauer, or sign Wacha. 

Power is at. Premium not in MLB. Westburg had 27 HR and 39 Doubles. Mayo had Troy Glaus type power at 3rd. Cowser is a direct replacement for a declining Satander on defense. 

A Marlins deal seems nice, but why trade away our studs that are in AAA and AA. We’ve come all this way and suffered so much losing. Now we’re finally loaded. 

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

No to trading away any of those three. We need to try and strike a deal using Mateo, Urias, or Mountcastle. If not, explore Lauer, or sign Wacha. 

Power is at. Premium not in MLB. Westburg had 27 HR and 39 Doubles. Mayo had Troy Glaus type power at 3rd. Cowser is a direct replacement for a declining Satander on defense. 

A Marlins deal seems nice, but why trade away our studs that are in AAA and AA. We’ve come all this way and suffered so much losing. Now we’re finally loaded. 

Interesting thought process, but pretty much we'd be trading 3 guys were developing for 2 they finished developing.  We need cost controlled pitching just as much as we need premium power, and the pitching is what you can ride through the playoffs.

50 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

Interesting thought process, but pretty much we'd be trading 3 guys were developing for 2 they finished developing.  We need cost controlled pitching just as much as we need premium power, and the pitching is what you can ride through the playoffs.

That is some kind of trade.  I think it's fair.   We still have Ortiz and Norby.   I would feel better if I knew a least one of Beavers and Fabian were going to become top prospects.   But trades like this are why you go position player heavy in the first place.    We have prospect capital to get two pitchers who have physically survived the maturation process instead of drafting the pitchers in the first place and seeing who survives.    Of course, getting both, pushes Kremer or Bradish out of the rotation.   

30 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That is some kind of trade.  I think it's fair.   We still have Ortiz and Norby.   I would feel better if I knew a least one of Beavers and Fabian were going to become top prospects.   But trades like this are why you go position player heavy in the first place.    We have prospect capital to get two pitchers who have physically survived the maturation process instead of drafting the pitchers in the first place and seeing who survives.    Of course, getting both, pushes Kremer or Bradish out of the rotation.   

Agree, one of the two would be next man up.  Or you go with a 6 man to limit innings on a few of these guys.  But that'd be a hearty 6 man to go with that I'd feel better about.

But really you're looking for equivalents in a trade which is why you developed position talent.  Who can give you 20 wins over the next 6 years in exchange for one of your duplicative pieces (Cowser/Westburg/Ortiz) knowing you have others ready to step in/up (Holliday/Beavers/Norby/Kjerstad).

The more deseriable approach for the Os would be to trade current ML players, like Mateo/Urias, for ECab/Luzardo, but that doesn't seem as straight up, and you'd have to add one of the other pieces too.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Do we really want to move Cowser? Mullins is reaching the stage where he’s going to be to expensive for us to keep. So if that’s the case would it be best to put a pkg together featuring Mullins and would it be able to net us two if the four?

I think I'd be fine with this, but the general sentiment that I've seen on this board is that folks don't want them to give up Santander let alone Mullins. Mullins is a sold player and seems like a great clubhouse guy, but it's pretty clear that 30 HR season was an outlier and who knows how many more 30 steal seasons he has in him. 

I also think we tend to overrate Mullins value. Mullins for Lopez would pretty much be a dead even trade and Mullins for Luzardo isn't that far off. I seriously doubt he'd net us two of their high end SPs. 

I would try to build a trade around one of Santander, Urias, or Hays, since one of that group would seem to meet the Marlins needs.  I think that Stowers immediately replaces one of Santander or Hays and Cowser could later in the season.  Westburg could probably replace Urias now.  And, we still have Ortiz, Kjerstad, Mayo, and Holliday, and other highly regarded prospects, at different levels within the minor league pipeline.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think power is the most easily replaceable think in MLB right now. I mean, it seems like between the  crackdown on pitchers, and the launch angle trend just about every MLB player has a shot at 20+ HRs these days. I also think you might be missing the point about us trading prospects FOR prospects. So we wouldn't be sacrificing our youth, we'd be balancing out our developmental talent, which is imbalanced right now on the offensive side (compared to our pitching). 

48 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Do we really want to move Cowser? Mullins is reaching the stage where he’s going to be to expensive for us to keep. So if that’s the case would it be best to put a pkg together featuring Mullins and would it be able to net us two if the four?

Expensive for what?  We have one of the lowest salaries in the MLB, and he's giving us significant value over his cost.  You've got 3 more years that he'll be better than his salary and by then Fabian and Beavers could be options too.  And you probably won't give a 31 year old CF a Nimmo deal at that point.

4 hours ago, MarCakes21 said:

Expensive for what?  We have one of the lowest salaries in the MLB, and he's giving us significant value over his cost.  You've got 3 more years that he'll be better than his salary and by then Fabian and Beavers could be options too.  And you probably won't give a 31 year old CF a Nimmo deal at that point.

There's no evidence to suggest that we won't continue to have one of the lowest salaries in baseball.

I'm not so sure it makes sense to trade Mullins he's a good leadoff hitter, has some pop, great speed etc. but I don't see the orioles committing to him outside of the 3 years of control. That 3 years we have of him at more than a reasonable price provides great value in and of it selve. I think the right young pitcher with similar amount of control would however provide greater value.

I don't expect the O's to try to extend Mullins that attention at least I hope will go to Gunnar,  Adley and eventually Greyson.

I'd probably like to see Bryan Reynolds get moved first just to get a better gauge of Mullins market value, unless we were offered the right pkg in return that incudes a young major league ready quality sp high upside with at least 2 years of control. 

If Mullins were to get moved who plays CF? Personally I think Mckenna would be an adequate placeholder until Cowser gets some more Ab's at Norfolk.

The difference to me is Mullins is a proven commodity. The pitchers we are looking at all have a certain amount of risk, Mullins has none. 

I would prefer to deal Westburg/Ortiz of all of our major league ready prospects. Holliday/Norby/Mayo are coming and the infield is alread covered pretty well. Even if Frazier plays 150 games. Dealing one of those 2 guys in a package for Luzardo or Cabrera is my preference. 

Cowser reminds me too much of Tucker, to trade.

2 hours ago, Winter said:

Back to our weekly boredom of overrating Marlins SPs. 

30ish days till ST and we need a SP. So are options are limited to,

- Marlins Pitchers

- Eric Lauer

- Michael Wacha

- Trevor Bauer talk that never ends well

- Waiver claims like Zach Thompson

- Dylan Bundy reunion 

- Final acceptance of what we have

Welcome to Birdland.