Excited about Spring Training

wildcard

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Westburg has 300-400 appearances at AAA.  Ortiz has 100.   Who was breathing down Odor's neck last year?   Richie Martin?  Jamai Jones?

Having said that, if Frazier struggles, I think Urias will just start to get more time at 2B.   But I don't think it's comparable to Odor last year although I think Frazier gets a pretty long leash.

Yea, not comparable, Frazier is making a lot more money (from the O's).

I think that if Elias wanted those guys in the majors he wouldn't have signed Frazier, he would have signed a cheaper place holder/backup option.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that if Elias wanted those guys in the majors he wouldn't have signed Frazier, he would have signed a cheaper place holder/backup option.

I agree with that, but if Frazier sucks we have other options.   We didn't have great options to replace Odor.

If you believe that Frazier hit's .200 through May and Westburg is hitting .320 at Norfolk, and they'll continue to give Frazier AB's, then we'll have to agree to disagree.

Edited by RZNJ

We'll see how it plays out but I think Ramon Urias found his sweet spot on the defensive spectrum last year.

I believe '22 Odor was imported in part because of how '21 Urias fielded 2B.    There's lots of infielders good on a corner who can't do the middle, and I think that's Urias now.    If Gunnar is at 3B not SS, I think Urias will be on bench (or at 1B?) more than at 2B.

An early Spring Training games indicator I'm looking to - will either of Grayson or Hall start a game before any of Gibson/Bradish/Kremer/Wells/Voth?    

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I agree with that, but if Frazier sucks we have other options.   We didn't have great options to replace Odor.

If you believe that Frazier hit's .200 through May and Westburg is hitting .320 at Norfolk, and they'll continue to give Frazier AB's, then we'll have to agree to disagree.

I think that we had the same options to replace Odor.

But that's me.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What part of the same is confusing you?

Westburg and Ortiz.

I've been pretty reliable with this viewpoint for years.

I'm fine with pushing guys.

Westburg last year struggling at Bowie in May is not the same as Westburg after a strong second half and finishing well at Norfolk.  Yeah, the name is the same but it's not the same.   Yes, that's just you.

Joe Ortiz hitting .200 for 3 months in Bowie is not the same as the Joey Ortiz who OPS'd over 1.000 over the last 3 months of the season.   The name is the same but it's not the same.

If you think it's the same options as last year, you just don't get it.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Westburg has 300-400 appearances at AAA.  Ortiz has 100.   Who was breathing down Odor's neck last year?   Richie Martin?  Jamai Jones?

Having said that, if Frazier struggles, I think Urias will just start to get more time at 2B.   But I don't think it's comparable to Odor last year although I think Frazier gets a pretty long leash.

Westburg does not have to play 2B.   If he hits Elias/Hyde will find a place for him to play.  This team is going to need good hitters.  If he hits he plays......somewhere.

Because not everyone will hit.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Westburg does not have to play 2B.   If he hits Elias/Hyde will find a play for him to play.  This team is going to need good hitters.  If he hits he plays......somewhere.

I agree.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

This is exactly what I said when it happened and obviously COC agrees. He isn't sitting in the first half for certain. IF someone pushes him, a platoon is the best they can hope for, imo.

12 hours ago, wildcard said:

Westburg does not have to play 2B.   If he hits Elias/Hyde will find a place for him to play.  This team is going to need good hitters.  If he hits he plays......somewhere.

How’s he gonna hit if he never gets a chance to play. I’m sure you saw Hyder sit Stowers a lot when he was with the team. Same thing will happen to Westburg if he’s on the team. He’ll be watching Frazier hit weak ground balls. 

42 minutes ago, waroriole said:

How’s he gonna hit if he never gets a chance to play. I’m sure you saw Hyder sit Stowers a lot when he was with the team. Same thing will happen to Westburg if he’s on the team. He’ll be watching Frazier hit weak ground balls. 

I think we have to stop thinking that one player will play one position.    Gunnar will switch between 3B/SS.  Mateo, Frazier, Mouncastle, Urias all have questionable bats.  They don't have to play every day.   Same with DH.   If Westburg hits they will find a place to play him.

We may find that in ST Westburg plays 1B and corner outfield in addition to 2B/SS/3B.   If he shows he can handle those positions it expands the ways he can get into the lineup.

Edited by wildcard

For sometime I have been waiting for the focus of this organization to become about the major league team.  I had hoped that when there was a chance to make the playoffs the focus would change, it didn't.  I hoped that this offseason the focus would change, it didn't.  I am now hopeful that spring training is when will see decisions for the good of the major league product be made.  I used to be so optimistic, but I am getting worn down.  

14 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I’d rather not have Frazier flop badly enough to have to worry about it.