Orioles acquire Ryan O’Hearn

Brian88

2 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Not really, the Givens and McCann deals received overwhelmingly positive responses.

And while I am probably viewed as a negative nancy, I liked the Gibson signing too.  But I liked it as a depth, end of the rotation move, not a "here is our Lyles replacement, let's ride" move that the Orioles are now trying to sell us on.

I was in the bathroom hanging a clock, when I fell down, hit my head, and IT came to me!

No not the flux capacitor, but the O's master plan for 2023.

They are not attempting to make the playoffs, they are trying to have the ML comeback of year player!!

Now all of the moves make sense.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t see some superior bench.  Not sure why you keep saying that. 

Find me a great bench on any team. Yankees, maybe? Dependent on how good Cabrera and Peraza are. Never know what Hicks will do. 

The bench is superior to what they had last year. Plus you will have more in season options during the year. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

Find me a great bench on any team. Yankees, maybe? Dependent on how good Cabrera and Peraza are. Never know what Hicks will do. 

The bench is superior to what they had last year. Plus you will have more in season options during the year. 

I don’t see it being superior to last year. Where is it way better?  You keep touting this as if it will be some major factor in the team in 2023. Where are you getting this from?

They have done nothing but add sub 700 OPS batters and guys who aren’t great defensively.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

So here's O'Hearn outs and singles last year (overlayed to Camden Yards). As you can see, there are ton of groundouts in shallow RF. Infielder will need to be on the dirt this year so you have to wonder if that will get him a few more hits. ohearn.png.27ef3aac5e716b91bbf12f42516b06f5.png

And with decent EVs, maybe he can get more hits. 

It’s not really a bad bet to take for little money. What is bad about it is this is being touted as a real move..not a move where you take a shot at him, see how it looks in ST and go from there.

Thats what is annoying about it. 

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t see it being superior to last year. Where is it way better?  You keep touting this as if it will be some major factor in the team in 2023. Where are you getting this from?

They have done nothing but add sub 700 OPS batters and guys who aren’t great defensively.

You don’t think McCann is better than Chirinos? One of Frazier/Mateo/Urias is not superior to Vavra? or compare that to no Odor. O’Hearn is far from a lock but being better than Nevin is not a big ask. Nevin and Odor were poor fielders. Chirinos was nothing special defensively. You have Cowser and Westburg on the cusp. 

I see a role for these guys. I’m not implying they are making the Orioles some favorite to win 98 games. I do think the bench can add 3-5 wins this year. 

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s not really a bad bet to take for little money. What is bad about it is this is being touted as a real move..not a move where you take a shot at him, see how it looks in ST and go from there.

Who’s touting it, exactly?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Who is touting this as a ‘real move’? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That's the thing. Roch's tweet (assuming that he's unofficially speaking for the org) about O'Hearn being the LHH they were looking for is the real problem here, for me. If other moves had been made by now to improve the team, better moves, and they also took a flier on O'Hearn, I don't know that most people would have even paid any attention. The general context of this off-season is what makes this move concerning, as there seems to be a decent possibility that this guy is expected to "help".

Just now, eddie83 said:

You don’t think McCann is better than Chirinos? One of Frazier/Mateo/Urias is not superior to Vavra? or compare that to no Odor. O’Hearn is far from a lock but being better than Nevin is not a big ask. Nevin and Odor were poor fielders. Chirinos was nothing special defensively. You have Cowser and Westburg on the cusp. 

I see a role for these guys. I’m not implying they are making the Orioles some favorite to win 98 games. I do think the bench can add 3-5 wins this year. 

I think McCann is better than Chirinos.

Do I think McCann getting at bats at DH and 1B could bring his overall value down to a similar level?  Yes.

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

McCann is probably better but if they play him 60-80 games and put him at DH and first, I’m confident he will be a negative WAR player.  If he only catches, he will probably be an upgrade but one that doesn’t move the needle.

You are saying you think the bench has as much value as Mullins. That’s laughable to me. 

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Who’s touting it, exactly?

The media and you better believe they are for a reason, especially when they are saying similar things.

The Os put out social media posts and an email about Ryan OHearn.  That’s telling you something. They marketing him.

1 minute ago, deward said:

6 minutes ago, deward said:

That's the thing. Roch's tweet (assuming that he's unofficially speaking for the org) about O'Hearn being the LHH they were looking for is the real problem here, for me. If other moves had been made by now to improve the team, better moves, and they also took a flier on O'Hearn, I don't know that most people would have even paid any attention. The general context of this off-season is what makes this move concerning, as there seems to be a decent possibility that this guy is expected to "help".

Connolly also did it.