Orioles acquire Ryan O’Hearn

Brian88

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No it doesn’t. Our need exists for a player who is good. He hasn’t had an OpS over 650 since 2018.

Just because he stands in the left handed batters box, doesn’t mean he is fits a need.

Fits not fills. I am a little puzzled why we didn’t just make a small trade(cash considerations) with the brave for Lewyn Diaz. I think he is similar to Mateo, and Urias, as a toolsy guy that just needs ABs. I think those ABs could’ve came in ST and maybe some time in AAA. 

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Fits not fills. I am a little puzzled why we didn’t just make a small trade(cash considerations) with the brave for Lewyn Diaz. I think he is similar to Mateo, and Urias, as a toolsy guy that just needs ABs. I think those ABs could’ve came in ST and maybe some time in AAA. 

Why can't they just... try to get better players?  Dom Smith just signed for the Nats for one year 2M.  Even that would have been better than this.  The cheapness is absurd. 

2 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Why can't they just... try to get better players?  Dom Smith just signed for the Nats for one year 2M.  Even that would have been better than this.  The cheapness is absurd. 

Dom Smith wanted everyday ABs. Same with Hosmer. O’Hearn was available for cash. I’d like to see us double down and make the same exact trade with the Braves to bring back Lewyn Diaz. Let Diaz and O’Hearn battle it out in ST. 

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Dom Smith wanted everyday ABs. Same with Hosmer. O’Hearn was available for cash. I’d like to see us double down and make the same exact trade with the Braves to bring back Lewyn Diaz. Let Diaz and O’Hearn battle it out in ST. 

I think I'd prefer giving these at bats to Franchy at this point. 

• Upvote 1

Looks like the Orioles sophisticated evaluation system spit out a guy who has slashed .222/.283/.340/.622 over his last 531 major league PAs with a 39-143 BB-K rate. Strict platoon guy who can't hit lefties. Yikes.

The good news is he has good EV, and expected WOBA and WOBACON were better then his actual stats. Oh, and he would have hot 44 home runs in Camden vs 29 in KC. He did have a .323 WOBA (2022) and .403 WOBA (2021) when they did not shift, so maybe there's some hope for improvement with the shift being banned. 

He'll be 29 years old so this seems like a kick the tires move that they can DFA and try to get to AAA for 1B depth if need be. 

Doesn't move the needle of course.

• Upvote 1