Kostka: Os need to follow a different path

Sports Guy

Just now, RZNJ said:

What did it cost him?

Depends on how you look at it.

On the one hand he lost a year of service time by promoting him early enough he could still finish in the top 2 of the RoY.

On the other hand he lost a draft pick by not promoting him at the end of 2021.

This way he ended up with the worst of both worlds, less service time and no pick.

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

On the one hand he lost a year of service time by promoting him early enough he could still finish in the top 2 of the RoY.

This way he ended up with the worst of both worlds, less service time and no pick.

He should have known that he would get hurt? Why add him to the 40 before he had to? 

It worked out bad but it was also bad luck and a unique situation. 

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think CoC was right.  The O's probably want 7 years of Westburg so he will begin the season at Norfolk.  

But he is probably in the majors by May 1st.

I doubt this. Signed Frazier and still have Urias. Even if Urias is dealt he does not sign Frazier if the plan was to have him up that early. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

He should have known that he would get hurt? Why add him to the 40 before he had to? 

It worked out bad but it was also bad luck and a unique situation. 

Has nothing to do with him getting injured.

He should have been up at the end of 2021 because he deserved to be up and the experience would aid in his development.

Elias held him back to leave open the option to game his clock in 2022.  You can't tell me the 40 man slot was an actual concern.

How cool would it have been if the period of adjustment he had in 2022 had happened at the end of 2021? 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Has nothing to do with him getting injured.

He should have been up at the end of 2021 because he deserved to be up and the experience would aid in his development.

Elias held him back to leave open the option to game his clock in 2022.  You can't tell me the 40 man slot was an actual concern.

How cool would it have been if the period of adjustment he had in 2022 had happened at the end of 2021? 

Why would you burn a 40 man spot over the winter when you don’t have to?

I definitely think that was why. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Why would you burn a 40 man spot over the winter when you don’t have to?

I definitely think that was why. 

Why burn one on Gunnar this year?  Because the advantage in his development is worth the negligible cost of a 40 man slot.

There was a ton of chaff on the 40 man last year.  Frankly I think you are being revisionist even suggesting that a 40 man crunch had anything to do with him not being promoted.

Why burn one on Gunnar this year?  Because the advantage in his development is worth the negligible cost of a 40 man slot.

There was a ton of chaff on the 40 man last year.  Frankly I think you are being revisionist even suggesting that a 40 man crunch had anything to do with him not being promoted.

I do not recall ever seeing a team call a player up over the winter before they had to. Not like he would have been Rule 5 eligible. 

It’s not that there was a crunch it was why lose a player before you have to.  

How many times have rookies been called up to the 40 over the winter when they weren’t Rule 5 eligible? 

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

In the 2021 season, Elias would have had to be psychic to know that (1) the rules would be changed to allow the top 2 for ROY would get a full year of sevice time and the top 3 to earn a draft pick for their team if on the OD roster, (2) Rutschman would suffer an injury in spring training that would prevent him from being on the OD roster, and (3) Rutschman would finish in the top 2 for ROY anyway.   All signs were that Rutschman would be on the OD roster.   

But you know what?  All that pales in comparison with knowing that Adley’s fulfilling his potential.   

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I do not recall ever seeing a team call a player up over the winter before they had to. Not like he would have been Rule 5 eligible. 

It’s not that there was a crunch it was why lose a player before you have to.  

How many times have rookies been called up to the 40 over the winter when they weren’t Rule 5 eligible? 

WTH?

The O's just called up Gunnar.

The O's called up Hays, you don't remember that?  They had years left before they had to call up Hays.

Are you kidding?

You are kidding right?

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In the 2021 season, Elias would have had to be psychic to know that (1) the rules would be changed to allow the top 2 for ROY would get a full year of sevice time and the top 3 to earn a draft pick for their team if on the OD roster, (2) Rutschman would suffer an injury in spring training that would prevent him from being on the OD roster, and (3) Rutschman would finish in the top 2 for ROY anyway.   All signs were that Rutschman would be on the OD roster.   

But you know what?  All that pales in comparison with knowing that Adley’s fulfilling his potential.   

That's not true.

We had people here advocating for Elias to hold Adley back in 2023 to get the extra year.

Unless you mean after the change in the CBA.  Even then I don't think folks were 100% sure which way he would go.

WTH?

The O's called up Hays, you don't remember that?  They had years left before they had to call up Hays.

Are you kidding?

You are kidding right?

Did you read the “over the winter” part?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

WTH?

Are you kidding?

You are kidding right?

Gunnar was called up last year. 

I’m referring to player being called up over the winter before they had ever played a game. Everyone waits to do that.