Westburg or Mountcastle? Higher WAR if Full Time Starter at 1B on OD?

sportsfan8703

It’s surprising that the whole thread as been about defense for the most part. I was trying to find a way to get Westburg’s BAT in the lineup. Mountcastle’s approach makes him inconsistent and he gives away a lot of ABs while hitting in the MOO. 

There’s a lot of ST before games start where Westburg can get work in there. In fact, he could be working there now. 

Overall, we can’t just dismiss a dude that had 27 bombs last year just because there isn’t room at 2B/3B/SS, but there is room at 1B. We need his bat in the lineup in 2023. Westburg is a little forgotten on this board. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s surprising that the whole thread as been about defense for the most part. I was trying to find a way to get Westburg’s BAT in the lineup. Mountcastle’s approach makes him inconsistent and he gives away a lot of ABs while hitting in the MOO. 

There’s a lot of ST before games start where Westburg can get work in there. In fact, he could be working there now. 

Overall, we can’t just dismiss a dude that had 27 bombs last year just because there isn’t room at 2B/3B/SS, but there is room at 1B. We need his bat in the lineup in 2023. Westburg is a little forgotten on this board. 

I don't think he is.

I also don't think he's likely to outperform Mountcastle.

I keep thinking that we’re one bat short, but we’re not. We just need to play Westburg. With the shift ban, how much would it help to have Westburg’s range over Mountcastle’s range?

I’m glad that for the 2023 season, we’re not just handing over 500 PAs to anyone other than Mullins, Adley, and Gunnar. Mountcastle and Hays need to produce. Their end of season slumps burned us last year. 

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea. For 2023, I probably take RM. Beyond that, I think Westburg. 

This is exactly my opinion. I think there is a tendency on the OH to forget that prospects don't always hit the ground running with the same stats they had in the minors. 

4 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

This is exactly my opinion. I think there is a tendency on the OH to forget that prospects don't always hit the ground running with the same stats they had in the minors. 

True, but 27 bombs is still 27 bombs. I think we’ll have a very flexible team and you could see Gunnar and Westburg playing all over the place.  On this present roster Gunnar and Westburg might be most valuable at 1B this year because of their range. 

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I keep thinking that we’re one bat short, but we’re not. We just need to play Westburg. With the shift ban, how much would it help to have Westburg’s range over Mountcastle’s range?

I’m glad that for the 2023 season, we’re not just handing over 500 PAs to anyone other than Mullins, Adley, and Gunnar. Mountcastle and Hays need to produce. Their end of season slumps burned us last year. 

If you replace Mountcastle with Westburg you're more likely to be two bats short.

I find it funny you don't mention Gunnar with the end of the season slump.

His last 14 days: 143/308/238.

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

True, but 27 bombs is still 27 bombs. I think we’ll have a very flexible team and you could see Gunnar and Westburg playing all over the place.  On this present roster Gunnar and Westburg might be most valuable at 1B this year because of their range. 

And Mountcastle had 33 in 2021.  Which is more than 27.  If you average his last two years, in the majors, Mountcastle has..wait for it...27.5 HR/year.

Does Westburg have the type of power that can dong it out in Left?  No idea.

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

It's not easy but I think Westburg ulitmately would be a better 1B than Mountcastle.   Better arm, better infield actions, better range.  I do think Westburg would be equal or better in a rookie year at 1B than Mountcastle will be this year.

What gives you this impression? I am genuinely curious as to how you arrived at this conclusion.  

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And Mountcastle had 33 in 2021.  Which is more than 27.  If you average his last two years, in the majors, Mountcastle has..wait for it...27.5 HR/year.

I’m suggesting putting Mountcastle at DH and Westburg at 1B primarily so we can take advantage of Westburg’s better range.

I’m not worried about Gunnar’s slump. I think he’ll cruise to ROY. Which brings up another value of Westburg being on the OD roster… he gives us another shot of having someone finishing in the top 2 ROY and us winning the draft pick. We could sweep 1 and 2. 

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Absolutely he does. He has some big boy power. I'd say he has similar power as Mountcastle but it just depends on whether the wall messes with his head as much as it did Mountcastle.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m suggesting putting Mountcastle at DH and Westburg at 1B primarily so we can take advantage of Westburg’s better range.

I’m not worried about Gunnar’s slump. I think he’ll cruise to ROY. Which brings up another value of Westburg being on the OD roster… he gives us another shot of having someone finishing in the top 2 ROY and us winning the draft pick. We could sweep 1 and 2. 

I’m one of the biggest O’s homer that I know but this is REALLY reaching. 

I would suggest that any prospect, no matter how high they profile, has something like (at best) maybe a 5% chance at winning ROY. To suggest that the Orioles would field the top two rookies is on a whole other level of optimism. 

I applaud your fandom, my friend. But sheesh. That would be something for sure. 

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If you do sweep one and two you still only get the one pick.

Unless they changed that on me too!

5 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I’m one of the biggest O’s homer that I know but this is REALLY reaching. 

I would suggest that any prospect, no matter how high they profile, has something like (at best) maybe a 5% chance at winning ROY. To suggest that the Orioles would field the top two rookies is on a whole other level of optimism. 

I applaud your fandom, my friend. But sheesh. That would be something for sure. 

Grayson Rodriguez as well. It’s not so crazy to think that those guys have a legit shot to finish 1-2. Westburg is just another chance. That’s all I was saying. 

23 minutes ago, banks703 said:

What gives you this impression? I am genuinely curious as to how you arrived at this conclusion.  

Westburg is a playable SS who can also play 3B and 2B credibly.  Mountcastle was never any of those things.  Westburg also has better plate discipline.   His overall numbers are just ok but he walked 36 times to 49 strikeouts his last two months so I think his offensive ceiling is higher too.