That old offseason game...if you could bring back one O's HoFer...

Moose Milligan

Which Orioles Hall of Famer would you put on the 2023 team?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Which Orioles Hall of Famer would you put on the 2023 team?

• Cal Ripken Jr. SS/3B
    • Brooks Robinson 3B
    • Frank Robinson RF
    • Jim Palmer SP
    • Eddie Murray 1B
    • Earl Weaver M

I voted for Jim Palmer .. I was fortunate to watch all of the great Oriole teams beginning in 1966.  

Jim Palmer was an outstanding pitcher but his greatest attribute was his encyclopedic knowledge of hitters and what vulnerabilities they had.  He threw pitches in areas of the zone that just were difficult for most hitters to hit hard consistently.  Palmer’s knowledge and ability to control his location were more Maddux and Mussina like than a Ryan or Carlton type. 

The question was posed as to how Palmer would do in today’s game.  Ty Cobb was famously asked what he thought he would hit in today’s game.  “About .270” he replied.  The reporter said “that low?” And Cobb replied “well I am 72 “ 

Jim Palmer over the years of watching the parade of horrible pitchers getting paid more than he ever made in his career must have wondered about it himself. 

20 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

If you could put one Orioles Hall of Famer (National Baseball Hall of Fame, not the Orioles Hall of Fame) on the 2023 team, who would it be?

Cal Ripken Jr. SS/3B

Brooks Robinson 3B

Frank Robinson RF

Jim Palmer SP

Eddie Murray 1B

Earl Weaver M

For arguments sake, we're going to assume each of these guys is in their prime.

Palmer, Murray, Ripken, FRobby, BRobby, Short guy

I gotta add that the 1984 AL MVP voting was a joke. Cal put up at 10.0 WAR season and finished 25th. A reliever from Detroit won it. Only 140 IP. Eddie Murray had a heck of a case too that year. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/awards_1984.shtml#all_AL_MVP_voting

I originally voted Palmer,  but give me 1984 Cal at SS. Gunnar at 3B. Urias and Mateo at 2B.