International Period Begins Sunday - Baseball America has the Orioles signing 16-year-old Dominican shortstop Luis Almeyda for more than $2 million.

Roll Tide

He’s currently 16.8 years old so he’d be over 17 for the upcoming draft.  I only brought up the draft “what if” because he grew up in Jersey but classified as a Dominican so he could get paid sooner and more. I think it’s a compliment to Perez to be able to have enough ties to sign a player in this situation. 

Here‘s a blurb from his Perfect Game profile,

Luis Almeyda is a 2025 SS/OF with a 6-2 175 lb. frame from Hawthorne, NJ. Outstanding athletic build, long and lean and projectable. 7.20 runner, moves very well for his size, very active feet on defense with advanced footwork, sure hands, gets plus jumps on the ball and anticipates with maturity, acts like he wants every ball hit to him when on the field. Plenty of arm strength and likes showing it off, very accurate. Also worked out in the outfield but should consider himself exclusively a SS/3B. Right handed hitter, has a well timed glide into contact, has quick hands and projects lots of power, swing mechanics are simple and direct with leverage, just a matter of balancing length with leverage and directness. High ceiling talent who loves to play. Named to the 13U National Showcase Top Prospect List.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=458863

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

As we know this process is the biggest crap shoot of them all, but saying that, it never hurts to see the Orioles in on the top talent available. 

I'd love to see them get a few arms at the higher money levels even though the risks are high. 

Playing time at the FCL Orioles this year will be at a premium with a good amount of guys who need playing time so that shows the maturity of the international program under Koby Perez.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I think you’ll find very few guys who jumped off the page at 18 and 19, which Chace, Rangel, and Cruz were last year.  I just looked up Alcantara, Cabrera, and Lopez of the Marlins.   None looked like anything special, statistically, until 20 or 21.   

Hope springs eternal I suppose. I'd still love to see a big influx of pitching talent. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I only brought up the draft “what if” because he grew up in Jersey but classified as a Dominican so he could get paid sooner and more.

Good detail - if I could have done that after Christmas Break 10th grade, I probably would have too.    High school was good, but a couple mil around then coulda made it better.

I do wonder if BAL more in on him with US travel ball and/or High School data, or if he isn't as big a milestone for Koby's progress with international kids as he might seem just based on the bonus growth.

Getting a guy like this in the organization when he is only a sophomore in high school is a big bonus. Is placing him in FCL too advanced? Seems like he's already acclimated to the U.S.  Never understood why MLB got rid of rookie leagues.  No doubt mainly to save money.

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I do wonder if BAL more in on him with US travel ball and/or High School data, or if he isn't as big a milestone for Koby's progress with international kids as he might seem just based on the bonus growth.

Agreed.  Almeyda is a bit of a cross-over/hybrid.  I tend to discount this signing on the Perez-ometer.  Not in a bad way, I'm just not convinced the causation matches the correlation in this case.