John Angelos chews out Dan Connolly

interloper

I was on the fence about John, but now I am certain he is just another Angelos. Good job hiring Mike and his team, and that's where my praise ends.

As Dan says in the article, John Angelos has been available to the media in the following occasions:

-Elias hiring
-Billy Joel
-Paul McCartney
-this most recent charity 

That's 3/4 that aren't baseball related, and that speaks volumes about where his head is at. 

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Dan’s defense and explanation was in Athletic … I think he did his job and did it appropriately.  And that John Angelos is an insufferable privileged jerk. 

https://theathletic.com/4098676/2023/01/16/orioles-john-angelos-transparency/?source=user_shared_article

I also find it hard to believe two things-that he didn't know of Connolly A) from his time in the market and specifically at The Sun-his question as to whether he was "from here" seemed contrived (who outside the Baltimore market would be covering an event like that) B) that he was unaware who from the press would be there and the questions that were likely to be asked.  In another life I worked for the CEO of a very large ($25b) company, everything for pressers was scripted and prepped (PR firms were paid very handsomely).  Although he likes to avoid the media, in my experience guys at his level were obsessed with media coverage and prepared extensively for it.  If he really was that naive the Orioles internal staff and PR firms really should be taken to task, especially after not fully vetting Cal Perry.  

• Upvote 1

On another note, does anyone ever proof Angelos's releases-from today on the Governors taking his oath-"a graduate of junior college".  In fact Moore never attended a JC but graduated from Valley Forge Military Academy, Johns Hopkins undergraduate then Wolfson (graduate) and was a Rhodes scholar at Oxford.  Attention to detail in such matters is important, and this continues the recent trend of embarassing gaffes to come directly from John Angelo's office. 

Statement from Orioles Chairman and CEO John Angelos:  "On behalf of the Orioles Organization, Partnership Group, and front office, I would like to congratulate Governor Wes Moore as he is sworn into office as the 63rd Governor of Maryland. I am confident that the members of our community will benefit greatly from his leadership over the next four years, and I look forward to working with him.  Governor Moore has exemplified hard work and perseverance throughout his life. His life story is one of hard work and service to others: the son of an immigrant, a combat veteran, a graduate of junior college, and the founder of an impactful nonprofit. Wes is also a good friend. As we celebrate this historic inauguration, I am optimistic about what the future holds for the City of Baltimore and State of Maryland. I look forward to working closely with the Governor to help achieve the great things that he has in mind for the people of Maryland."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SemperFi said:

I also find it hard to believe two things-that he didn't know of Connolly A) from his time in the market and specifically at The Sun-his question as to whether he was "from here" seemed contrived (who outside the Baltimore market would be covering an event like that) B) that he was unaware who from the press would be there and the questions that were likely to be asked.  In another life I worked for the CEO of a very large ($25b) company, everything for pressers was scripted and prepped (PR firms were paid very handsomely).  Although he likes to avoid the media, in my experience guys at his level were obsessed with media coverage and prepared extensively for it.  If he really was that naive the Orioles internal staff and PR firms really should be taken to task, especially after not fully vetting Cal Perry.  

Well Roch Kubatko worked with Connolly at the Baltimore Sun and he said in his column that some reporter from the Athletic asked a question that John Angelos found inappropriate. 

People think Roch is a reporter is beyond my understanding  I guess he reports some news  

Edited by Going Underground

58 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

On another note, does anyone ever proof Angelos's releases-from today on the Governors taking his oath-"a graduate of junior college".  In fact Moore never attended a JC but graduated from Valley Forge Military Academy, Johns Hopkins undergraduate then Wolfson (graduate) and was a Rhodes scholar at Oxford.  Attention to detail in such matters is important, and this continues the recent trend of embarassing gaffes to come directly from John Angelo's office. 

Statement from Orioles Chairman and CEO John Angelos:  "On behalf of the Orioles Organization, Partnership Group, and front office, I would like to congratulate Governor Wes Moore as he is sworn into office as the 63rd Governor of Maryland. I am confident that the members of our community will benefit greatly from his leadership over the next four years, and I look forward to working with him.  Governor Moore has exemplified hard work and perseverance throughout his life. His life story is one of hard work and service to others: the son of an immigrant, a combat veteran, a graduate of junior college, and the founder of an impactful nonprofit. Wes is also a good friend. As we celebrate this historic inauguration, I am optimistic about what the future holds for the City of Baltimore and State of Maryland. I look forward to working closely with the Governor to help achieve the great things that he has in mind for the people of Maryland."

I honestly don't even know why the second paragraph was even necessary. It's almost like John Angelos is trying to glom onto the success of everyone/everything else with these press releases/news conferences. On a somewhat related note, Wes Moore is left-handed though which, as a fellow left-hander, earns him a few extra points from me. Not sure if he has a decent fastball though. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Well Roch Kubatko worked with Connolly at the Baltimore Sun and he said in his column that some reporter from the Athletic asked a question that John Angelos found inappropriate. 

People think Roch is a reporter is beyond my understanding  I guess he reports some news  

Roch may not be a "reporter"...but he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. 

This is starting to make the rounds outside of the Orioles universe. Seems like it's got the potential to really go viral since he invoked MLK Jr. day as an excuse for not answering questions. Not a good look.

Edited by byrdz

11 minutes ago, byrdz said:

This is starting to make the rounds outside of the Orioles universe. Seems like it's got the potential to really go viral since he invoked MLK Jr. day as an excuse for not answering questions. Not a good look.

God I hope it does and turns into a meme. Hope he turns into a laughingstock. Imagine not just tactfully deflecting the question or GOD FORBID actually answer it. Like why has everything always been treated like such a state secret with that family? It's a friggin' baseball team. Get over yourselves.