Are the Red Sox Better Than the Orioles (on Paper)?

HakunaSakata

After this trade and the Duvall signing, I think they might be.  

2023 Projected Lineup

1. M. Yoshida (OF)
2. E. Hernandez (2B)
3. . R. Devers (3B)
4. J. Turner (DH)
5. . A. Verdugo (OF)
6. . T. Casas (1B)
7. A. DuVall (OF)
8, A. Mondesi (SS)
9. R. McGuire (C)

SPs - 1. Sale, 2. Kluber, 3. Pivetta, 4. Whitlock, 5. Paxton
RPs - Jansen, C. Martin, Schreiber, Barnes, Houck, etc.

• Upvote 1

I don’t think so, but they could be.   Neither the Duvall signing or this trade makes a big difference to my opinion.  The Red Sox have a lot of players who could either be very good or pretty bad. If things break their way, they could be better than us; if not, they’ll be considerably worse.   

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think so, but they could be.   Neither the Duvall signing or this trade makes a big difference to my opinion.  The Red Sox have a lot of players who could either be very good or pretty bad. If things break their way, they could be better than us; if not, they’ll be considerably worse.   

I can easily see the Red Sox winning 70 or 90 games or anywhere in between.  Lots of injury prone guys.  Lots of lineup guys who could be solid or waiver wire guys.

A lot less risk in the O's starting line-up IMO.  I'll take our offense and fielding all day/every day vs. theirs.  Pitching, Sales' health means the world to that rotation.  Kluber and Paxton are wildcards with a ton of upside too.  And there's Bello in the mix.  I like our top BP guys better than theirs, at least at this stage of their careers.

I think we have a winning percentage against them head-to-head in 2023.

17 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Mondesi moves the needle?  LOL.

He makes Adam Frazier look like Roberto Alomar.  

He's a significantly better player than Frazier (when healthy). And the Red Sox only need him to stay healthy for 1/2 a season until Story comes back. So in that sense, yes he does move the needle (on paper).