Elias expecting Rodriguez to make rotation in ST

ThisIsBirdland

3 hours ago, oriole said:

I’m curious how Cowser is able to make it onto the roster. Who will he take ABs from? Hays? Stowers? I’d like to believe that once Cowser is up then he is an every day player, at least until he shows he is not up to the task. But that comes at a cost and there’s pretty good OF depth, especially if you count Frazier and Vavra as potential options. 

Of course, injuries and bad performance can make the decision easy. But assuming everyone is healthy and playing around what we expect, where does Cowser go?

Lots of scenarios. Aside from injury or poor performance, you could see Hays or Santander traded. I think the trade deadline is going to be very interesting depending on how Ortiz, Norby, and Cowser are doing.

2 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:
Elias believes Orioles can make playoffs in 2023 
https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/2561257

Sure?

What else is he going to say after last year?

However he also said:

“The division that we’re in and the teams that were at the top of the division last year, I think it’s really hard to sit there and chart a course and say we’re likely to win the division,” he said.

I don’t think we want to steal from those teams to juke the odds of the 2023 Orioles getting in the playoffs.

1. It isn’t likely that the Orioles win the division but it’s possible.

2. The Orioles aren’t going to make a move designed to improve their chances in 2023 if it significantly weakens the future beyond 2023.

3. The Orioles can make the playoffs in 2023.

There’s no conflict or contradiction in any of these statements.  Is there anyone who thinks the Orioles can’t make the playoffs?   It’s not exactly going out on a limb.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

1. It isn’t likely that the Orioles win the division but it’s possible.

2. The Orioles aren’t going to make a move designed to improve their chances in 2023 if it significantly weakens the future beyond 2023.

3. The Orioles can make the playoffs in 2023.

There’s no conflict or contradiction in any of these statements.  Is there anyone who thinks the Orioles can’t make the playoffs?   It’s not exactly going out on a limb.

Didn't say there was.

I was just providing additional context for the comment I replied to.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Didn't say there was.

I was just providing additional context for the comment I replied to.

What else is he going to say?  My point is what else anyone else going to say?   Of course, they can make the playoffs.  It would be hard to find someone who says they have no chance.   You make it sound like he has to say it because he’s the GM.   Almost anyone would say the same thing.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

What else is he going to say?  My point is what else anyone else going to say?   Of course, they can make the playoffs.  It would be hard to find someone who says they have no chance.   You make it sound like he has to say it because he’s the GM.   Almost anyone would say the same thing.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you took it upon yourself to declare to everyone what I meant to say.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you took it upon yourself to declare to everyone what I meant to say.

Elias saying the Orioles can make the playoffs is a nothing burger.   It’s like saying we expect to have 26 players on the OD roster.  It’s not news.   

Here’s the quote from the article:

"We are very serious about getting into the playoffs," Elias said Sunday on MLB Network Radio. 

"Despite the difficulties in our division, we think we’ve got a real good shot to get into the postseason this year. We almost got in last year. The time is now to start to tap into the depth in our farm system."

Amen.   

• Upvote 1

As we've seen from the past, Hays typically has a good first half of the season and then tapers off. What I'm expecting is Cowser gets more seasoning in AAA and when ready, we trade Hays at his peak value and bring Cowser in to replace him. I could also see the same scenario for Santander. Hays' arm is exceptional and he can cover ground much better than Santander so either scenario would be fine. It comes down to whomever the Orioles think will benefit the team the most. Moving Cowser to left to cover the large territory there and moving Hays to right to make better use of his arm would be interesting. Again, preventing runners from moving first to third will be of paramount importance in saving runs and thus, winning games. My only concern is Hays' health. He's never been healthy for an entire year during his career and his bat is not as good as Santander's. He is much more athletic however.

6 hours ago, Explosivo said:

As we've seen from the past, Hays typically has a good first half of the season and then tapers off. What I'm expecting is Cowser gets more seasoning in AAA and when ready, we trade Hays at his peak value and bring Cowser in to replace him. I could also see the same scenario for Santander. Hays' arm is exceptional and he can cover ground much better than Santander so either scenario would be fine. It comes down to whomever the Orioles think will benefit the team the most. Moving Cowser to left to cover the large territory there and moving Hays to right to make better use of his arm would be interesting. Again, preventing runners from moving first to third will be of paramount importance in saving runs and thus, winning games. My only concern is Hays' health. He's never been healthy for an entire year during his career and his bat is not as good as Santander's. He is much more athletic however.

Actually, it’s not typical that he has a good first half and tapers off.   His career OPS in the first half is .730 and ..760 in the 2nd and that’s after last year. In 21 he was .730 1st and .790 2nd half.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Actually, it’s not typical that he has a good first half and tapers off.   His career OPS in the first half is .730 and ..760 in the 2nd and that’s after last year. In 21 he was .730 1st and .790 2nd half.

Oh well then I was wrong entirely, my bad. 

• Upvote 1