Jackson Holliday 2023

Frobby

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

This was an impressive quote for the Orioles development system and the Holliday's ability to use it"

It takes some hitters a long time to be able to rapidly recognize one pitch from another. Holliday is ahead of the curve here easily and also credits the Orioles organization for the information they provide on opponent pitchers – even at the lowest levels of the farm.

“Yeah, we have a really good scouting report before each game, so you really know what the pitch shape is and where it needs to start for it to be in the zone and where it needs to start to be a ball. That is something that I pay attention a lot to. Because I’ve never seen these guys before. So, to know their release points and how their ball moves before the game even starts has been beneficial,” said Holliday, whose younger brother Ethan could be among the top picks in the 2025 draft.

• Upvote 2

A couple Low-A yardsticks from last year, and one from long ago:

Hernaiz 284/341/512 in his "I'm too good for Delmarva but Mike Elias put me back here" month

Lawlar 351/447/603    (in Lawlar's 3-level 2022 the OPS's at the full season levels went 1050-850-650)

M. Holliday 264/350/435   (1999 Asheville)

I suspect Holliday is going to hit for average and over a .400 OBP at Delmarva.   I'd be pleasanty surprised if his slugging was over .500 as I think his power might be the last thing to come.   There were a few AB's where he I saw him loading up trying to jack one out because his natural swing was only getting him to the warning track.    I do think he's not going to spend too much time in Delmarva.   He's probably the most advanced 18-19 year old we've ever had in the system.   That includes Machado.

42 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

A couple Low-A yardsticks from last year, and one from long ago:

Hernaiz 284/341/512 in his "I'm too good for Delmarva but Mike Elias put me back here" month

Lawlar 351/447/603    (in Lawlar's 3-level 2022 the OPS's at the full season levels went 1050-850-650)

M. Holliday 264/350/435   (1999 Asheville)

I’m looking at Gunnar’s .312/.369/.575 in 2021.  Of course, Gunnar was a year older due to the missed Covid year, and had the benefit of spending part of that season at the alt site.

Put me down for .333/.450/.500 for Holliday.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Just Regular said:

Kjerstad had to hit .463 for 22 games to get out of there.

What I am pumped for the first month is Holliday and Basallo side by side.     Basallo is about 9 months younger - can he keep up?

I suspect Basallo is not going to compete with Holliday.   I expect some growing pains with Basallo but I'd be happy with a solid year overall.   I expect him to stay in Delmarva all year with maybe a few weeks at Aberdeen just because the O's seem to like to do that with their prospects.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m looking at Gunnar’s .312/.369/.575 in 2021.  Of course, Gunnar was a year older due to the missed Covid year, and had the benefit of spending part of that season at the alt site.

Put me down for .333/.450/.500 for Holliday.

I agree that Henderson would be the ideal development arc for Holliday. They were (are) both so young (and still pretty scrawny when drafted), and I think the Covid year truly benefited Gunnar in terms of conditioning and gaining weight. Look at him at when he was drafted to what he is now, and look at Holliday, they're not particularly dissimilar in builds at 18 so if Holliday grows into his body a little more and adds some muscle, all that athletic action will hopefully lead to strong game power.

Gunnar Henderson - Wikipedia