Do the Orioles have a pitching “type”?

Frobby

It’s been mentioned that the O’s seem to draft hitters who make good swing decisions, hit the ball hard and have some defensive ability.   That’s their “type” of player and the O’s are good at developing them.  

Today I listened to a very fun interview of Geoff Pontes of Baseball America.   If you want to feel even better than you do about the state of our farm system, listen to this interview.  Pontes is sky high on the players and our player development system.  

One point discussed was that the O’s haven’t used a lot of high picks on pitchers.  In discussing that, Pontes said that the O’s do seem to have a “type” that they like — pitchers who throw a lot of strikes and can throw a couple of different shaped pitches.  He seems to think that the O’s believe velocity can be developed for pitchers that have these traits.  

I’m not sure I agree, other than to say that pitchers with top velocity are usually off the board by the time the O’s turn their attention to drafting pitchers.   I can’t say the O’s tend to draft strike throwers though.  What do you think?

Anyway, if you’d like to hear the interview:

bit.ly/3DsMH4W bit.ly/3RgQEzj

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure if its by design, or its the only thing the Orioles are able to get at the major league level, but the entire staff is basically average stuff good command guys - with Bradish maybe being the only one who could turn into a higher K guy.

Seth Johnson, Chayce McDermott certainly aren't guys that throw a lot of strikes right now.

I can see them thinking maybe they can squeeze some more MPH out of Povich who has decent command.

Drew Rom and Justin Armbruester fit Pontes's model I guess, but the O's going out and trading for the high upside guys from the Rays suggests to me that they're not scared to try out all types of guys.

• Upvote 1

This seems like a recipe for a bunch of #3/4 types, with the hopes that one of the velo guys ends up clicking on all cylinders.

I do think we have several decent guys in the pipeline whose profiles have a higher upside than many of the last regime's low velo guys.

Of course, I was a big fan of Lowther, so what do I know?

Good command and height are something Elias looks for when he trades for SP's and pitching in general. Povich, Irvin, McDermott and Povitsky (all acquired in trade) are all 6'3 or taller. An outlier is Seth Johnson in the Mancini trade from Tampa, is 6'1.  

I've heard a few things and have a few observations from the guys they ten to draft/acquire.

Pitch shaping is certainly one of things I've heard from different sources that they look for. From the true spin of a fastball to spin on their breaking balls, they a looking for guys that fit that mix.

Everyone looks for tall guys so that's not new, but obviously they look for guys with quick arms and with good chances to increase velocity after signing with the right program.