BRob potential deals to the Cubs

Sports Guy

My guess is the latter so why should it be any different with Pie? He was another Adam Jones before last year, didn't get time to work it out in the majors, and he had a tough year.

If the Cubs really thought he was AJ, they wouldn't ship him off in a deal like what you're talking about.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Extending Corey Patterson has abosolutely nothing to do with Pie. If Pie doesn't reach his potential, worst case is he's a cheap Patterson type guy for a few years then he moves on. Best case, he's another Adam Jones.
You want to carry that "Patterson guy" on our roster for a few years? Also, you want to play that "Patterson guy" in leftfield. Do you prefer his potential to Reimold's and why?
The Cubs are in a pennant race and they were last year....No reason why you should expect Lou to give a prospect all the time he needs when they are trying to win a WS. The reason he's so attractive to the O's is because we have time to give him.
It worked out on paper. But are you saying at the time you would have handed the job to a 38 year-old coming off an 88 OPS+ season? The Cubs were in sore need of his "veteran presence?"

Here are your options(let's say it has to be one of these 3 things):

1) Trade BRob for the 4 Cubs players.

2) Let him walk for picks.

3) Extend him for 4 years at 10 million a year.

Which option are you choosing and why?

Extend for 10 years.....for Whatever Brian Roberts :hearts: wants:):wedge:

WHY?

1.Its is the right thing to do!

2.he is VERY good at his job and works hard:clap3:

3.He gives back to the community especially, childrem

4.He has a soul and a good heart.....that is priceless:wedge:

I could go on and on.............:)

Again . . . as I have stated before . . . you seek out prospects who are not redundant. If that fails you settle for redundacy if it is preferable to the worst case scenario.

And, yes, I think Josh Fields and Feliz Pie are equal. I think you are way too sold on Pie's 55 games in his repeat of Iowa. His first year and last stint were not so impressive.

So you don't keep trying to accumulate good young pitching? The O's need to acquire as much good young talent as they can and if the players reach their potential, then you can trade the players that are redundant. Of course you try to fill your weakest spots, but you don't refuse any trade that will give you young talent at any position. When you are one player away from contention, then you can afford to be selective in trades.

It boggles my mind why we'd go after Pie and his 57 OPS+. The Cubs have used him primarily as a centerfielder and some here want to put him in left. I still laugh when I think back on the people who wanted us to extend Corey Patterson's contract and Pie could end up like him. But, I guess some here know better than Lou Piniella who elected to go after a 38 year-old Jim Edmonds instead. Again, I'll take quality over quantity.

Taking the two draft picks will most likely give you neither quality nor quantity.

So you don't keep trying to accumulate good young pitching? The O's need to acquire as much good young talent as they can and if the players reach their potential, then you can trade the players that are redundant. Of course you try to fill your weakest spots, but you don't refuse any trade that will give you young talent at any position. When you are one player away from contention, then you can afford to be selective in trades.

1. Injury rate on pitchers is higher.

2. There are at least ten spots on a pitching staff.

3. There is a left field spot arguably open where we have 2 guys who are about equivalent to what Pie is worth.

Yeah, it is redundant to accumulate positions at the major league level when you have holes in other areas. And, yes, we can be selective because we have a LOT of holes.

Maybe I am misreading this, except it has been presented as such . . . Why do people think this is a Cubs deal or bust situation? That makes no sense to me as the Cubs have no even showed interest in months.

If I can get Pie . . . I probably can get him without dealing Roberts who has the value to potentially fill a hole. I would roll the dice and see if I can find other situations with better leverage. Offer them Berken and Mikolio in spring training for Pie. If they have no room . . . then they might get restless. If they can find a better deal elsewhere . . . we really did not lose much.

3. There is a left field spot arguably open where we have 2 guys who are about equivalent to what Pie is worth.

Yeah, it is redundant to accumulate positions at the major league level when you have holes in other areas. And, yes, we can be selective because we have a LOT of holes.

Maybe I am misreading this, except it has been presented as such . . . Why do people think this is a Cubs deal or bust situation? That makes no sense to me as the Cubs have no even showed interest in months.

If I can get Pie . . . I probably can get him without dealing Roberts who has the value to potentially fill a hole. I would roll the dice and see if I can find other situations with better leverage. Offer them Berken and Mikolio in spring training for Pie. If they have no room . . . then they might get restless. If they can find a better deal elsewhere . . . we really did not lose much.

The idea here is that they are our only hope and that they won't move Vitters for BRob.

I agree with your last paragraph.

Extending Corey Patterson has abosolutely nothing to do with Pie. If Pie doesn't reach his potential, worst case is he's a cheap Patterson type guy for a few years then he moves on. Best case, he's another Adam Jones.

What sample size are you getting your 57+ OPS from? His hundred AB's in the majors?

The Cubs are in a pennant race and they were last year....No reason why you should expect Lou to give a prospect all the time he needs when they are trying to win a WS. The reason he's so attractive to the O's is because we have time to give him.

Again, if Matt Wieters comes up and struggles, are you guys going to point to his poor stats in 150 AB's, or are you going to look at his talent and minor league track record and say that he has a good chance to work out his troubles and become a better player?

My guess is the latter so why should it be any different with Pie? He was another Adam Jones before last year, didn't get time to work it out in the majors, and he had a tough year. That doesn't equal Corey Patterson who had 7 years to prove that he was a bust, not 100+ AB's.

Did Wieters strike out more than 21% in his minor league career? Trying to compare Wieters struggling through 150 AB's to Pie through the same is comparing apples to Oranges.

Forget about Pie's failure thus far in the Bigs for a second ...

Facts

1) Pie Struck out in the minors 535 times in 2528 AB's

2) Pie is not a home run hitter so 21% K's for a non power bat is horrendous

In his best season he hits 15 homers at AAA & K'd 126 times in 559 ab's.

Plus his AAA seasons where in the PCL.

3) Pie's has great spead which benefits him in the field. But he is no base stealer. in 190 attempts he was caught 72 times (60 % success rate).

Pie is a 4th OF imo.... Seriously I dont see any other team beating down the Cubs door for Pie. There are plenty of teams that could use a young cheap CF/OF prospect. Personally I think the Orioles should deal Scott for prospects. This makes the most sense as he will be older when the Orioles contend. They should play Montanez & Reimold LF as the #3 & #4 OF's. They should sign a DH candidate to a 1-2 year deal. Hopefully a guy that would have pennant chase value at the deadline. Both theres just no way any of Pie,Cedeno, Or Hill are centerpiece players that you trade Roberts for. At this point those guys are bargain bin players that could/should & maybe will be had for next to nothing on the waiver wire. Maybe the Orioles wont get them on the waiver wire. But that means you should be able to get any of them for a low grade prospect.

The reason that people think it's the Cubs deal or bust is because there is no market for Roberts. Has there been any real hint of interest in Roberts from any other team? Has there been any real hint of an offer (quantity or quality) from any other team? Roberts is an excellent player who many teams would want at their price. As others have pointed out, Hudson, Cabrera (willing to play 2B), and Grudzalanek are all available as FAs at really discounted prices without giving up a package of players.

The reason that people think it's the Cubs deal or bust is because there is no market for Roberts. Has there been any real hint of interest in Roberts from any other team? Has there been any real hint of an offer (quantity or quality) from any other team? Roberts is an excellent player who many teams would want at their price. As others have pointed out, Hudson, Cabrera (willing to play 2B), and Grudzalanek are all available as FAs at really discounted prices without giving up a package of players.

The Indians have inquired about him....The WS also have had interest.

What level of interest and these teams are willing to give up is what we don't know.

Wonder if the Cards would be interested in BRob? Looks like they spoke with the Yanks about Cano. What could we get back from them if there was interest?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Cardinals Inquired About Cano

By Nat Boyle [January 18 at 10:03am CST]

According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch, the Cardinals called the Yankees to inquire about second baseman Robinson Cano. Goold says the Yankees asking price was an immediate deal breaker: Adam Wainwright. "The conversation did not last long," writes Goold.

Yankees GM Brian Cashman has expressed an unwillingness to part with Cano.

The Indians have inquired about him....The WS also have had interest.

What level of interest and these teams are willing to give up is what we don't know.

I agree that there is not much of a market for Roberts out there. I think Hudson being available is a detriment to getting anything of equal value for Roberts. His bat, for the moment, is equal to Roberts, but his defense is a win or so worse. He seems to be deteriorating a bit more quickly than Roberts, but that judgment contains a lot of conjecture.

Wonder if the Cards would be interested in BRob? Looks like they spoke with the Yanks about Cano. What could we get back from them if there was interest?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Cardinals Inquired About Cano

By Nat Boyle [January 18 at 10:03am CST]

According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch, the Cardinals called the Yankees to inquire about second baseman Robinson Cano. Goold says the Yankees asking price was an immediate deal breaker: Adam Wainwright. "The conversation did not last long," writes Goold.

Yankees GM Brian Cashman has expressed an unwillingness to part with Cano.

The Cards do not have much we would want and I think they may be one of the teams who is having cash problems. They went into the offseason wanting to do a lot, but have been largely silent. Any deal would have Kennedy coming back to us.

Kenny Williams has stated that he talked with the Orioles in November. One can assume it was about Roberts since the SUN quoted sources saying discussions regarding deal including Roberts and Floyd had been discussed.

So the Cubs don't seem to be the only option.

Archived