BRob potential deals to the Cubs

Sports Guy

What can we get from the Cubs?

Let's assume, for the purpose of this thread, that the Cubs can not get Peavy and turn their attention back to Roberts, which I think is possible.

What would you want to get from them to make a deal happen?

Does Vitters have to be included?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What can we get from the Cubs?

Let's assume, for the purpose of this thread, that the Cubs can not get Peavy and turn their attention back to Roberts, which I think is possible.

What would you want to get from them to make a deal happen?

Does Vitters have to be included?

I think Vitters has to be included. Their pantry is getting kinda bare. I would also assume Pie gets thrown in for good measure. His value seems to have crashed. Wouldnt mind putting Pie in left field or center and just letting it all play out.

Mike Fontenot will be the Cubs 2B and he is not much worse than Roberts. He is also cheaper, which also works for the Cubs. I do not see a deal with them.

I don't buy for a second that Lou is excited about Fontenot, especially if they can get BRob.

Now, if they can get Peavy, they would prefer that.

BTW, you could have said the same thing last year and the Cubs also had DeRosa, so obviously it doesn't matter that much to them.

I don't buy for a second that Lou is excited about Fontenot, especially if they can get BRob.

BTW, you could have said the same thing last year and the Cubs also had DeRosa, so obviously it doesn't matter that much to them.

I don't know much about Fontenot, but I cannot imagine him being as big of a threat on the basepaths as Roberts. Roberts brings more to the table than just his defense and pretty good bat.

I agree with Craw that there is no longer a clear fit. If BAL was to trade Roberts to CHN, I don't think Vitters would be included, nor should he be required. One year of Roberts is not worth a top 30 prospect in all of baseball, in my opinion. If BAL can get him, great, but I don't imagine they could.

Lou may not be happy about it, but everyone projects Fontenot to be better than DeRosa. Securing him at second along with a few other moves allowed them to nab Bradley.

Now, the difference between this year and last is that cost was less of a concern last year. Roberts was a small but sizable improvement over DeRosa, but cost was not a factor. Or, at least not much of a factor. This year, as having been laboriously articulated in the Tribune, cost is a factor. Therefore, I would be surprised to see the Cubs nab Roberts.

...but cost was not a factor. Or, at least not much of a factor. This year, as having been laboriously articulated in the Tribune, cost is a factor. Therefore, I would be surprised to see the Cubs nab Roberts.

I'm not sure about the rest of the argument, but that portion strikes me as true.

Archived