Matchups

wildcard

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I expect him to add to the team in some manner if they are contender or not.

I don't expect a fist pump, we got our guy for the stretch run level move.

I’m expecting a modest move as well. 

I still think at some point he makes a bigger deal but I doubt it’s this season. 

In an ideal world, I can imagine a scenario where one or both of Irvin and Gibson perform well and get traded for prospects, while at the same time we trade some of our prospects for a Woodruff level guy. Elias is going to have a lot of options to go either way or potentially both, depending on how the standings are shaking out. 

16 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

In an ideal world, I can imagine a scenario where one or both of Irvin and Gibson perform well and get traded for prospects, while at the same time we trade some of our prospects for a Woodruff level guy. Elias is going to have a lot of options to go either way or potentially both, depending on how the standings are shaking out. 

That’s not an ideal world that’s a dream world. Would require Means, Bradish, Grod, Kremer all throwing well. I guess Wells could replace one of those guys. 

Thing is I guess it’s possible but I tend to doubt how he handled this off-season he deals for someone with 1.5 years of club control left and gives up much. 

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

That’s not an ideal world that’s a dream world. Would require Means, Bradish, Grod, Kremer all throwing well. I guess Wells could replace one of those guys. 

Thing is I guess it’s possible but I tend to doubt how he handled this off-season he deals for someone with 1.5 years of club control left and gives up much. 

I’m unclear. Are you talking about the deal for Irvin? Hernaiz is high on your list?

I expect a stronger move than many expect if the forecast ~30% playoff odds increase by July.

We won't know until actions speak louder than words, but Elias does remind me of a tight poker player.    2023 may or may not be a pot to push in on, but I believe we'll see decisive action at some point during these Adley teams.

If the team doesn't fail, Elias should be near the top of the bidders for whatever good pitching changes hands this summer.

11 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I expect a stronger move than many expect if the forecast ~30% playoff odds increase by July.

We won't know until actions speak louder than words, but Elias does remind me of a tight poker player.    2023 may or may not be a pot to push in on, but I believe we'll see decisive action at some point during these Adley teams.

If the team doesn't fail, Elias should be near the top of the bidders for whatever good pitching changes hands this summer.

If Elias plays poker he would definitely be a slow player. Very slow. Like Matt Damon in Rounders checking on a nut straight slow.

4 hours ago, Just Regular said:

If the club has a legit shot at division and a bye that has to change possibilities. 

I think we see something big as well during this run. Just doubt it’s this year.  

Elias buys small and turns it into farm guys that maybe big.   

He trades Mancini for Seth Johnson.   Jorge Lopez for Cade Povich.

This summer he will graduate Westburg, Hall, Ortiz, Cowser and Norby and trades Santander,  Gibson and Frazier.   People say those guys will not bring much back but Elias will turn them in cheap, talented prospects that we have not heard of yet.

Edited by wildcard

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Referring to a potential trade deadline deal. Don’t think he will go after a big time addition. 

Sure he will. The trade variables at the deadline are much better known.

You know more about what you are giving up, you know more about what you are getting and you know what you need to be a contender. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

This summer he will graduate Westburg, Hall, Ortiz, Cowser and Norby and trades Santander,  Gibson and Frazier.   People say those guys will not bring much back but Elias will turn them in cheap, talented prospects that we have not heard of yet.

If they we’re smart Mullins would be in that equation as well.

Edited by Il BuonO

6 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

If they we’re smart Mullins would be in that equation as well.

Only if the O's have someone to replace him without a big  drop off.  And right now they don't. McKenna has the speed but has not shown he can hit righties.   Cameron and Cordero have the speed but can't hit.   No one from the minors is ready.

Beavers and Fabian may have the speed but need time to develop.  So Mullins stays until the O's can develop a centerfield or they can trade for one.

9 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Sure he will. The trade variables at the deadline are much better known.

You know more about what you are giving up, you know more about what you are getting and you know what you need to be a contender. 

The variables are known better for sure. Teams also view being a division winner differently than a WC team. Avoiding that best of 3 matters.  

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

Only if the O's have someone to replace him without a big  drop off.  And right now they don't. McKenna has the speed but has not shown he can hit righties.   Cameron and Cordero have the speed but can't hit.   No one from the minors is ready.

Beavers and Fabian may have the speed but need time to develop.  So Mullins stays until the O's can develop a centerfield or they can trade for one.

Agreed, but that day is coming. They need to be ready to pull the trigger when the time comes. Mullins struggled mightily last year vs LHP unlike the first year he hit exclusively from the left side. Of course, he has many positives, too.