DL Hall's back soreness "not an issue anymore"

wildcard

I’d like to see Hall piggyback until he’s built up to start, and then if all 5 starters are healthy he is either sent to AAA to start or we move to a 6-man rotation. Hall is still ROY comp pick eligible and while his odds are certainly less than Gunnar and Grayson’s, a breakout season (or even just a very good one in the 80+ percentile of outcomes for him) would put him firmly in ROY conversation. 

If by the time Hall is fully stretched out he doesn’t look like he’s capable of that type of performance and doesn’t force his way into the rotation, then you send him down to continue his development as a SP.

It makes sense for Hall to piggyback Grayson more than any other SP just because they are likely to want to baby him more and bring him along slower to start the year than the other SP, but in no way should it affect whatever development plan they have for Grayson’s innings this year. I’m guessing this wouldn’t last beyond 3 starts. 

• Upvote 1

I think the best thing for Hall’s development and the team is to just stick him in the bullpen as a setup reliever.  Let him get a year under his belt and see if he can throw strikes.  He looked good last September.   He can, hopefully, gain confidence and develop his control this year at the ML level while also being an important member of the team.  Voth is the perfect piggy back partner for GRod if they decide to do something like that.

I think Hall is an interesting option as a piggy back but I think we’re expecting too much from a guy who walked 49 in 76 AAA innings.

Edited by RZNJ

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think the best thing for Hall’s development and the team is to just stick him in the bullpen as a setup reliever.  Let him get a year under his belt and see if he can throw strikes.  He looked good last September.   He can, hopefully, gain confidence and develop his control this year at the ML level while also being an important member of the team.  Voth is the perfect piggy back partner for GRod if they decide to do something like that.

I think Hall is an interesting option as a piggy back but I think we’re expecting too much from a guy who walked 49 in 76 AAA innings.

I want 7 years of Hall as a starter.  If he stays in the minors until late May they get an extra year.    Those 7 to 8 weeks can be used to refine his control as a starter.

Just what I want. I have no idea what the O's will do.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If you can't trust his command, he can't be a setup reliever.

12 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I disagree.  It’s a lot easier to challenge hitters with 2 pitches over 1-2 innings.   As a reliever for the Orioles he walked 3 in 10 innings.    

30 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I'm of the same opinion. Either put Hall in the pen, where his control issues are hopeful more manageable in small doses or demote him and let him work things out as as starter in AAA. Until he shows some signs of improvement with his walks or the team falls out of contention he probably shouldn't even be considered for the MLB starting rotation. 

17 minutes ago, Pickles said:

That's not necessarily true. He'd be able simplify his pitch mix and would only need to be effective in small bursts. The only downside is that it probably wouldn't do much to help his development as a starting pitcher. 

Just now, RZNJ said:

I disagree.  It’s a lot easier to challenge hitters with 2 pitches over 1-2 innings.   As a reliever for the Orioles he walked 3 in 10 innings.    

I wouldn't want him pitching late in close games if I can't trust his control.

1 minute ago, HakunaSakata said:

That's not necessarily true. He'd be able simplify his pitch mix and would only need to be effective in small bursts. The only downside is that it probably wouldn't do much to help his development as a starting pitcher. 

I think he'd gain confidence.  Nothing better than that for an athlete.   By the way for all of those Corbin Burnes fans.  He pitched out of the Brewers bullpen, mostly, in 2018 and 2019.  Didn't seem to hurt his future too much. He went from 58 IP as  starter in 2020 to 167 in 2021.   This idea that you can only go 50 innings more than the previous year is just another myth.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I wouldn't want him pitching late in close games if I can't trust his control.

He closed a game against the Yankees last year, I believe,  in Yankee stadium.  Brandon Hyde and I both disagree with you.

16 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Threw a side session today and a BP session later this week?. About 19 spring training days left.  Don't see him making the team out of spring training.

If he doesn't make the team out of ST, that's stupid.

Granted, the OD rosterbation is weird and stupid in and of itself, too.  They start shuffling players back and forth, like, after the first or second series is over.  So the stupidity of him possibly not making the team out of ST is mitigated by the fact that he'll probably be called up shortly.

That said, every time this thread is bumped, I freak out a little bit that he tweaked his back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1