“Winning Fixes Everything”

Sports Guy

A new book by Evan Drellich called Winning Fixes Everything is out.

Has anyone read it?  From what I am seeing on Twitter, it sounds like Elias isn’t painted in a good light.  I saw one excerpt talking about his politics. (I guess it depends on what side of the fence you are on there)

But there are some things I’m seeing that hints at him knowing about the cheating, how he acted towards other people and perhaps something about him cheating on his wife (I have actually heard this before).

But again, this is Twitter talk and who knows if people are mis-interpreting things or not.

It makes me wonder if things in this book are real and he knew about it, does it bring his job in jeopardy?

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

His politics and personal life are not my business.

I don't think his job is in jeopardy.

I agree…but I’m talking more about if he knew about the scandal and I guess, if it comes out that he treats employees in Baltimore bad. (If any of that is true)

Ben Lindbergh, a co-author of The MVP Machine, cohosts Effectively Wild with Meg Rowley.

Lindbergh shared early in the podcast circa 2018 before Astros GM types branched out as much, he had "petulant emails" from Jeff Luhnow in his inbox about how no one from the Org was going to talk to an author about the cutting edge of their insights.

Which is fine, just doing his job.    If Elias' Orioles have intellectual capital how to repeat the results of Gunnar Henderson's development, and he gets an insightful question from say David Laurila, he should with polish pivot to, "we like to get more runs than the other team".

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

A new book by Evan Drellich called Winning Fixes Everything is out.

Has anyone read it?  From what I am seeing on Twitter, it sounds like Elias isn’t painted in a good light.  I saw one excerpt talking about his politics. (I guess it depends on what side of the fence you are on there)

But there are some things I’m seeing that hints at him knowing about the cheating, how he acted towards other people and perhaps something about him cheating on his wife (I have actually heard this before).

But again, this is Twitter talk and who knows if people are mis-interpreting things or not.

It makes me wonder if things in this book are real and he knew about it, does it bring his job in jeopardy?

I’ll replace my copy of Astroball with this. But I tend to think he knew just based on the fact that he oversaw huge parts of that organization. Who would discipline him? JA or MLB?

And sadly I assume a majority of these guys cheat on their spouses

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Couldn’t care less about his politics.   Why that would even be addressed in a book about the Astros is beyond me.  

The excerpt I saw was him basically bashing(or at least making fun of, maybe it was just banter) a fellow employee for being on the other side of him.(this goes with the whole culture in the front office part of the book)

Plus, he’s apparently a Trump guy and I’m sure Drellich is trying to make him look like a bad guy because of it.

Edited by Sports Guy

45 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I agree…but I’m talking more about if he knew about the scandal and I guess, if it comes out that he treats employees in Baltimore bad. (If any of that is true)

I would assume anyone in a position like his would have known about the cheating or at least about the general culture that facilitated it. However, people that are part of an organization have different levels of responsibility. Was it his idea? Did he order people to do it? I don't think we have any evidence of that although I have not read the book. Maybe he did nothing to oppose it but that happens all the time in big organizations. 

I think the fact that Sig and Eve followed him from the Astros to the O's is a solid indicator that he is not a toxic person. 

22 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I would assume anyone in a position like his would have known about the cheating or at least about the general culture that facilitated it. However, people that are part of an organization have different levels of responsibility. Was it his idea? Did he order people to do it? I don't think we have any evidence of that although I have not read the book. Maybe he did nothing to oppose it but that happens all the time in big organizations. 

I think the fact that Sig and Eve followed him from the Astros to the O's is a solid indicator that he is not a toxic person. 

But didn’t he say he had no knowledge of the cheating? 

The fact that Elias is a trump guy makes me like him more. The fact that Drelich throws politics in a book about baseball makes me like him less. The fact that Drelich insinuates Elias cheats on his wife is kind of despicable without proof. I will not be reading his work but I do appreciate the summation by all of you. Glad to have Elias aboard!

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But didn’t he say he had no knowledge of the cheating? 

I actually haven't followed it closely. Like I said, he almost certainly had general knowledge of the culture. If he says he had no specific knowledge of the cheating I would believe that unless anything in the book contradicts it. It's not like his role had anything to do with coaching or managing the guys on the field.