Ootp Baseball 2023 - Orioles in Playoffs

bluedog

Absolutely LOVE this!!  I have to ask three things......

1.) What happened to the bullpen guys we think will be on the team this year, such as Bautista and others?  Injured, or didn't pan out?

2.)  For sniffs and giggles, could you post the starting pitchers stats for the season you played?  Would be interested in what Gibson, Kremer, Bradish and Irvin did.  And, if they didn't finish the years as starters, was it because of performance or injuries?

3.)  Finally, in trading Urias and Mateo, who played the left side of the infield?  Assuming Gunnar was one of them, but was Ortiz your shortstop, or did you have Henderson there with someone else at third base?

16 hours ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

I love this game. OOTP 24 will be out right around opening day. Only gripe had with the 23 version was they didn’t have OPACY updated. 

I'll be buying 24 the moment it comes out. We should form a chat group on OH for Ootpb players and compare notes.

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Reading this thread, I like the speed of the games!   What do they have, an 0.1 second clock between pitches?  😉

That Hall for Kelenic move was pretty bold.  Would you do that in real life?

Hall's control stats were so suspect that I just knew he was going to struggle to stay in the rotation. I looked for the best high upside left handed prospect I could find and Kelenic was the guy. I probably wouldn't do that IRL, but in Ootp I took a shot.

Edited by bluedog

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

We need upside pitchers more than upside hitters, so I wouldn’t do it either.  Then again, @bluedogmade a whole bunch of position player trades, so maybe Kelenic’s upside was more useful on a restructured team.  Very Billy Beane of him!

I wasn't playing to win now, it just happened that all the moves I made worked out great, like Kelenic.

I was actually tanking one more season by trading away all my cost controlled major league talent that I didn't consider part of my "core" moving forward in exchange for prospects - particularly pitching prospects.

I held on to Adley, Gunnar, GRod, Means, Vavra, Stowers, Bradish and Kremer. Everyone else on the major league roster got dealt except for C Perez, Baker and Santandar (who had no takers.

The sim started with the team state set prior to this offseason, so no Cole Irvin trade and I ended up signing Danny Salazar instead of Gibson as my back of the rotation innings eater for $8M. 

I'm playing '24 with Kerstad, Westburg, Cowser and the rest of the kids coming up to join the core. Should be fun.

Edited by bluedog

9 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

Absolutely LOVE this!!  I have to ask three things......

1.) What happened to the bullpen guys we think will be on the team this year, such as Bautista and others?  Injured, or didn't pan out?

2.)  For sniffs and giggles, could you post the starting pitchers stats for the season you played?  Would be interested in what Gibson, Kremer, Bradish and Irvin did.  And, if they didn't finish the years as starters, was it because of performance or injuries?

3.)  Finally, in trading Urias and Mateo, who played the left side of the infield?  Assuming Gunnar was one of them, but was Ortiz your shortstop, or did you have Henderson there with someone else at third base?

1) It's easy to build a bullpen in Ootpb using the waiver wire, minor league players, rule 5 draft and low key FA pickups, just like Elias did with Voth, Baker, Perez, Bautista etc. I traded Bautista to get max value for the Closer effect and replaced him with Ron Marinaccio who the Yankees lost to me via Waivers. Marinaccio put up 44 saves (like 42 in a row at one point).

2) See attached for pitching stats. Kremer got hurt and missed the entire season after TJ surgery. I never signed Gibson or traded for Irvin and signed Salazar instead. Stallings was IL Pitcher of the Year and when Salazar ended up getting hurt, Garrett got the nod for the last several weeks and got the ball in Game 3 over Mitch White and Kyle Bradish.

3) Gunnar 3b, Vavra 2b initially and later replaced by Vidal Brujan , and Jose Barrero at SS who I picked up as a spare part in a trade. Everyone except Gunnar is keeping spots warm for Westburg & Ortiz in 2024.

Pitching.GIF

3 hours ago, interloper said:

I'd love to see the full playoff roster if you get a chance. Fun stuff to read about!

See the post above for the Pitching Roster.

Hitting Roster below.

By the way, the O's got Swept by the Guardians in the divisional round so its on to 2024 and the debut of Heston Kerstad as the next Aaron Judge... :P

Hitters.GIF