Sarris: Top 10 breakout pitchers

Sports Guy

9 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I tried fantasy baseball once and hated it. Couldn't ever truly understand the scoring system used in the league either. Fantasy football is better, but I stopped that like 6 years ago.

Felt too much like a job and there's always player injuries.

It's definitely a grind (long season) but I also find that it's a great way (and reason) to stay up non-Orioles players, prospects, etc. And much like fantasy football it gives you a another reason to watch other games, even when there isn't money involved. I only play in one league and it dates back to guys I've been playing with since the early 90s and it also helps us to stay connected since we live in different states and in some cases even different countries. 

And this isn't directed at you, but fantasy sports are pretty mainstream now. Maybe it was considered somewhat "nerdy" to play the games in the 70s and 80s, but to make a comment like that now seems pretty ridiculous. I mean, half the the GMs in MLB are basically glorified fantasy baseball players. 

On 2/21/2023 at 5:43 PM, Chelsea_Phil said:

God I hate fantasy baseball and football. 

Like it or not, there's no escaping it.  The statistical revolution that now informs most of the discussions on here, in large part would not exist without fantasy sports and the gambling culture that has grown up around it.

Attending games in person is wonderfully therapeutic.  Personally, attending a high school football or baseball game cuts through a lot of the noise and is really centering when I'm feeling jaded.