Kyle Bradish 2023

Frobby

54 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Couldn’t have asked for better from Kremer and him over the past two nights. 

I noticed it last year when they both dominated the Houston Astros lineup, which won the World Series later in the season. When you put Kyle Bradish and Dean Kremer together in the rotation pitching back to back games, the opponents lineup seems to have trouble with them. It's like their stuff works well together on consecutive outtings.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I thought Bradish was super impressive tonight, even though only facing the Nats.   He really reminds me of vintage Tillman. 

Loved me some Chris Tillman, but could never quite understand how he was successful. At the peak of his powers, I was living in San Diego, would go to Padres games, and wonder the same thing about the tall guy, Chris Young. Only conclusion I could draw, between the two of them, was the high fastball, not at an overwhelming velocity, but consistently at an elevation that it looked enticing to a hitter. Bradish, on the other hand, seems to be able to access premium velocity, and several of the breaking balls in this game were impressive as hell. Bradish tonight moved my smile-o-meter in a positive direction. Yes, Nats, blah blah blah, but if you can't do it against them...... 

What I really love about him is that he has grinded and worked to develop a nice mix of pitches to the point that he can be basically different pitchers at different parts of the game. Last night he was fastball/curveball early in the game primarily, and then by the 5th/6th he was more sinker/slider/change up.  To me, that makes him dangerous and allows him to extend himself deeper in games.  To me he is the best pitcher on the staff, hope he can keep rolling.

Edited by IPlayGM
Spelling

2 things we need to see more of for him to truly take that next step imo:

1) Throw more strikes. His str% was below average last year and is below average so far in his very tiny sample size.

2) Miss more bats. He is below league average here as well. 

These 2 things could go hand in hand. Throw more competitive pitches on a more consistent basis and you get guys fishing more and more.

A few less balls in play, few less baserunners, less pitches to get through an inning…those things can make huge differences.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

2 things we need to see more of for him to truly take that next step imo:

1) Throw more strikes. His str% was below average last year and is below average so far in his very tiny sample size.

2) Miss more bats. He is below league average here as well. 

These 2 things could go hand in hand. Throw more competitive pitches on a more consistent basis and you get guys fishing more and more.

A few less balls in play, few less baserunners, less pitches to get through an inning…those things can make huge differences.

Curious of what those two things you mentioned were once he came back up last year. Without looking it up, he went deeper in games and I remember decent strikeout numbers. Wondering how much his beginning of the year skewed his overall numbers, if any.

Stuff+ seems positive - Grayson 106, Bradish 104, Kremer 102, Wells 95, Gibson 92, Irvin 78 among our length pitchers.

I believe the metric doesn't differentiate between length and relievers in its 100 centered scale, so Wells 95 might be "league average for a starter".

I saw Eno Sarris on Brian Kenny's show - it was new to me then the stat also incorporates the pitch's release point into the data.     I understand it mostly just cooking together Velocity X, Spin Y, etc, about same as xwOBA does for a batted ball.

3 hours ago, IPlayGM said:

What I really love about him is that he has grinded and worked to develop a nice mix of pitches to the point that he can be basically different pitchers at different parts of the game. Last night he was fastball/curveball early in the game primarily, and then by the 5th/6th he was more sinker/slider/change up.  To me, that makes him dangerous and allows him to extend himself deeper in games.  To me he is the best pitcher on the staff, hope he can keep rolling.

I think this is huge for him going forward. Because...

I was concerned going into this year, because no one besides Trevor Rogers lost more fastball velo as the game went along last year.  Sure enough, last night he sat 95 in the first inning, and then was 92.8 in the 6th.  I wonder once he builds up some durability if he can hold his fastball velo longer into games.

In innings 5 and 6, he threw 15 4S/2S and 16 sliders/curves, so it is encouraging that he has confidence in his arsenal to try and beat hitters in a variety of methods.

Edit:

14% swinging strike 41% CSW on curve

38% swinging strike 47% CWS on slider!

those are some monster numbers early on

Edited by nvpacchi

59 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Stuff+ seems positive - Grayson 106, Bradish 104, Kremer 102, Wells 95, Gibson 92, Irvin 78 among our length pitchers.

I believe the metric doesn't differentiate between length and relievers in its 100 centered scale, so Wells 95 might be "league average for a starter".

I saw Eno Sarris on Brian Kenny's show - it was new to me then the stat also incorporates the pitch's release point into the data.     I understand it mostly just cooking together Velocity X, Spin Y, etc, about same as xwOBA does for a batted ball.

My hunch on the last part is different arm slots, on average, mold pitch shape and then it is up to the pitcher to try and make his shape look different than the norm at his given arm slot.

For example, its not too surprising that Felix Bautista gets 20 inches of vertical ride on his fastball, given that his arm slot is almost 83" above the ground, and higher release point, tends to suggest more vertical ride.

But then you get a guy like Nestor Cortes who's arm slot is only 69" above the ground and he still gets almost 20" of ride - it makes his fastball play up much more, given that guys with release points like his don't normally get that sort of ride.

From a percent comparison- Bautista gets 9% more ride than the average pitcher at his release point.  On the other hand Cortes gets 21% more ride than the average pitcher at his release point.  The cream of the crop is the 'shorter' guys (or lower release point guys) like Strider, de Grom (who has a crazy low release point for someone his height), and now Taj Bradley who can combine that lower release point with the elite velo.

• Upvote 1

Obviously Bradish got thrashed by Boston last night, but I couldn't watch the game, only some highlights. For those who saw it, was it just a total lack of control, or that he couldn't spot his secondary stuff and they crushed what he threw over the plate? 39 strikes and 42 balls, 7 outs and 12 batters reaching base... yikes.

9 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

Obviously Bradish got thrashed by Boston last night, but I couldn't watch the game, only some highlights. For those who saw it, was it just a total lack of control, or that he couldn't spot his secondary stuff and they crushed what he threw over the plate? 39 strikes and 42 balls, 7 outs and 12 batters reaching base... yikes.

Yes.

Nothing looked crisp.  Couldn't locate any of his pitches.  Nothing was working.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

He had no control.  Not even the fastball.   Velo was good just couldn't locate.  He should have been taken out before the grand slam but the pen was overused.   As it turned out both Baumann and Voth pitched well for multiple innings.  

• Thanks 1