Kyle Bradish 2023

Frobby

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how day to day they determine ERA title qualification in season - I thought after he attained 97.1 innings in Team Game 97 he'd flicker in for a day on the leaderboards, but if he did I missed it.

We'll see tonight in Team Game 102 if he can up his innings count up to 103 or 104 for a little more margin.    He should get his 162 necessary to seasonally qualify if he makes his turns to yearend.

He could use some of that armside sinker movement for Schwarber and Bryce.

Even with the stumble last night, he got his innings up, and didn't pitch himself all the way out of the Top 10.

Earned Run Average
1. Eovaldi • TEX 2.69
2. Cole • NYY 2.78
3. McClanahan • TBR 2.89
4. Castillo • SEA 3.02
5. Gray • MIN 3.15
6. Dunning • TEX 3.18
7. Gausman • TOR 3.18
8. Valdez • HOU 3.29
9. Bradish • BAL 3.29
10. Berríos • TOR 3.400

Overall, I was impressed with him yesterday.  Gave up some runs early, yet remained pitch efficient and retired 8 or 9 straight until the dinger that finished him off.  

McDonald talked about it and I agree, it's important for a guy like that who doesn't necessarily have his best stuff to figure out what's working and to be able to battle it out.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Overall, I was impressed with him yesterday.  Gave up some runs early, yet remained pitch efficient and retired 8 or 9 straight until the dinger that finished him off.  

McDonald talked about it and I agree, it's important for a guy like that who doesn't necessarily have his best stuff to figure out what's working and to be able to battle it out.  

I've hit this in the game threads, but it seems to me like every starter has this issue almost every game where they just lose command.  Last night, Bradish recovered nicely, but it took him 2 innings to do it.  

I realize this is a common thing with ANY pitcher, but it seems to happen EVERY game with our starters.

1 minute ago, clapdiddy said:

I've hit this in the game threads, but it seems to me like every starter has this issue almost every game where they just lose command.  Last night, Bradish recovered nicely, but it took him 2 innings to do it.  

I realize this is a common thing with ANY pitcher, but it seems to happen EVERY game with our starters.

It's just in seasons past it happened multiple times per start so it wasn't as noticeable.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I was very disappointed in hi performance.  He cruised through the first two innings.  We get him a 3-0 lead and he walks 2 of the first 3 hitters the next inning.  Yes, he kept us in the game, but I expected better.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Does anyone REALLY know you?

Does anyone really know anyone.

Anyway here is the article, I was on mobile yesterday.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-orioles-used-to-be-bad-ish-now-they-have-kyle-bradish/

My takeaway.

Spoiler

He doesn't credit the coaching staff or the analytic team with the decision to start featuring a sinker.  Now maybe he's the type to just take credit for himself but I find it interesting.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Does anyone really know anyone.

Anyway here is the article, I was on mobile yesterday.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-orioles-used-to-be-bad-ish-now-they-have-kyle-bradish/

My takeaway.

Hide contents

He doesn't credit the coaching staff or the analytic team with the decision to start featuring a sinker.  Now maybe he's the type to just take credit for himself but I find it interesting.

He doesn’t talk about coaches or analytics or anything specific about the changes he’s made.  Perhaps he did everything on his own.  Perhaps the coaches had a lot to do with it.  I don’t see how you could make a judgement or inference one way or the other based on that article.   I suspect that you’d prefer that John Means changeup had nothing to do with Oriole coaching and that Bradish developed and started using the sinker 100% on his own.   Haha, in that way I do know you.

Edited by RZNJ

1 hour ago, clapdiddy said:

Part of it is the teams they are facing.  Phillies, Rays, and Dodgers for the most part do a great job controlling the strike zone.  

Edited by baltfan