Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

10 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Much better. Got ahead and put guys away. FB was hitting spots and changeup was in the zone for called strikes as well as missed bats. Well deserved first win, hopefully first of many. 

Watching the mlb.com highlight of Grayson's 9 third-strikes was a joy. 7 change-ups, 1 shoulder-high fastball to free-swinging Baéz, and a curveball well above the strike zone that Rutschman instantaneously framed into a strike. He has the two-strike pitch to put batters away that is often lacking in the repertoire for the day of the other non-Wells Oriole SPs. Feeling very optimistic.

• Upvote 1

He really had almost everything working yesterday.  That looked a lot like the starts I saw him have in the minors in 2021 and the first half of 2022, except a bit less pitch-efficient.

I do think he’s learning something with each outing and he should only get better as the year goes along.  

14 consecutive scoreless innings, by the way. 

• Upvote 2

With now one good game by his standards and some other ones, Grayson sits tied with Ohtani/Cole 9th/10th/11th among Active Roster AL starting pitchers in K-BB.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=al&qual=10&type=1&season=2023&month=0&season1=2023&ind=0&team=0&rost=1&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2023-01-01&enddate=2023-12-31&sort=9,d

The BAL qualifiers rank 11, 17, 41, 46 and 58 out of 70.     

Mapping those to simple labels, 1 month in in the 2023 AL context we have a weak #1, strong #2, mediocre #3, strong #4 and strong #5.

That we have a #1 at all is the novelty of the moment - peak Means was say a 7 out of 10 on the Bedard scale.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, TheDeau52 said:

Who know, when Means come back and we trade for an SP, we might actually be contenders. Emphasis on “might”.

True, but those are two huge "ifs."  There's no guarantee Means returns with the same stuff, or if he even is healthy enough to start in the majors by the end of the summer.  And Elias hasn't made a prospects for top starting pitcher trade yet, so we'll see...

In case this was not posted above, starting with the inning-ending DP in the 4-run first by Chicago, Grayson's stats:

IP: 14.2

R: 0

H: 10

BB: 4

K: 23

Like everyone, I want him to have to work less hard for outs by finishing hitters and reducing pitches per IP, but he looks every bit the top-of-rotation starter we hoped he'd be.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If Grayson had enough innings to qualify (he’s 2.2 innings short), he’d rank second in the AL in K/9, behind deGrom and just ahead of Gausman.  

I hope this is heard only in the joy of seeing great baseball played for my laundry...

deGrom will be failing the innings requirement soon 

The biomechanics of Jacob deGrom's life will I hope be an amazing book someday.

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I hope this is heard only in the joy of seeing great baseball played for my laundry...

deGrom will be failing the innings requirement soon 

The biomechanics of Jacob deGrom's life will I hope be an amazing book someday.

I think if the kid from Rookie of the Year could have held onto his ML arm at the end of the movie, he would’ve ended up like DeGrom. 

2 hours ago, TheDeau52 said:

Who know, when Means come back and we trade for an SP, we might actually be contenders. Emphasis on “might”.

The fact that they had Ortiz up, benched Frazier, and are now experimenting with Stowers in the cleanup spot while Santander takes a day off, raises my trade alert radar. I think something might be in the works behind the scenes preparing for the trade deadline this year.

• Upvote 1

On 2/28/2023 at 9:10 PM, Just Regular said:

Eno Sarris in Podcast just shared Grayson's MLB translated Stuff+ from a couple AAA games last year was about 135, around Strider level.

The projections he's developing give him about 3.00 ERA, 29% strikeout rate.

The top 5 Stuff+ results from 2022 AAA were Roansy Contreras, Blake Snell, DL Hall, Reid Detmers and Grayson Rodriguez.

Hall is there for this group, yet according to some here he should be in the BP I’ve traded.

39 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s so crazy that Grayson has come up here, even when he had been struggling and somehow had figured out how to get ML hitters out.

It’s almost as if development can still occur at this level.  Go figure!

I don’t think “development” was the issue.  I don’t think there’s a poster here who didn’t think Grayson was fully developed and ready for the majors by late May 2022.   

The issue was that his command was way off his usual standard.  I’m glad he’s worked through it. Didn’t have a problem with the decision to send him down, or to call him up.  He’s certainly not going anywhere now. 

• Upvote 1